BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2004
      Apologies for crossposting
      BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
      Welcome to the 2nd May edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
      newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
      1.TOP STORIES
      2. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY
      3. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS

      1 TOP STORIES
      FROM COMMUNICATIVE ACTIVITY TO TASK: A SHORT BUT SIGNIFICANT JOURNEY
      This paper begins with a consideration of the historical roots of task-based
      teaching, especially as they relate to communicative language teaching. It
      notes significant common elements between the notion of 'communicative
      activity' and that of 'task'.(PDF)

      OPENING THE DOOR: TEACHING STUDENTS TO USE VISUALIZATION TO IMPROVE
      COMPREHENSION
      "Each day, our students are bombarded with the visual images of TV and video
      games. In contrast, most students view reading as a passive activity. But a
      simple technique -- visualization -- can transform students of all ages from
      passive to active readers"

      "WHO DO YOUR STUDENTS SEE?"
      "When we walk into a classroom, the only thing we have to offer our students
      is who we are, and what we are, no matter how we are."

      CULTURAL SENSITIVITY IN VOLUNTARY VIRTUAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
      COMMUNITIES
      This paper considers professional development for the use of technology in
      teaching and learning. It considers the idea of professional development
      within a voluntary context. It offers a view of voluntarism as a specific
      self-directed approach to collaborative professional development. (PDF)

      PLAY GAMES, BE BETTER STUDENTS?
      "The conventional wisdom about the video-game industry is that it's all
      about entertainment. But a group of 350 game designers, educators and
      government officials think that games can be used as a tool to teach
      critical thinking"

      These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
      the last few days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
      articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
      line at: search.admin@...

      2. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY

      We are in the process of carrying out a survey to find out how best to meet
      your needs, so if you have a 3 minutes and would be kind enough to help us
      click on this link or post the URL into your browser.
      http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4642589/i.asp

      3. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS.
      The LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT forum, moderated by Jeremy day from British Council
      Poland, continues to be one of the most lively with questions about grammar
      and, most recently, about different forms of conditionals.

      If you're curious about Weblogs get along to the WEBLOG IN ELT group where
      you can find lots of useful advice and links to resources presented by
      Graham Stanley from British Council in Barcelona.

      In the USING SONGS IN ELT group, there are already some interesting
      questions about copyright and a some useful tips on how to use songs sent in
      by Joel Ashton

      Also within the TEACHER TRAINERS' DISCUSSION GROUP, in the documents
      section, you can find a presentation on Culture and its relationship to
      language. This has kindly been donated by Radislav Millrood and he has
      offered to answer questions and postings about this topic. To see the
      presentation you can click here:
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/Culture%20models%20presentations.ppt
      and if you want to leave a question or discuss the issues arising from this,
      then log in and then post messages in the Teacher Trainers' discussion
      group.

      As ever your feedback and suggestions are welcome at
      search.admin@... or just go to
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on FEEDBACK
      To subscribe to / unsubscribe from this newsletter visit
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org or click on this link:
      http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4402367/i.asp

      Regards

      Nik Peachey