BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
      Apologies for cross posting.

      BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

      Welcome to the April edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
      newsletter. In this edition we have news on:

      1. APOLOGIES

      2. TOP STORIES

      3. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT

      4. IATEFL

      1. FIRST OF ALL, APOLOGIES to all our regular users for the break in our
      service. SearchEnglish has been down for the last week due to an underground
      fire in the Manchester post office exchange which has effected thousands of
      Internet users all over the UK. I'm glad to say that the damage has been
      fixed and SearchEnglish is once again live.

      2. TOP STORIES

      We have been busy over the last couple of days linking to some of the best
      and most interesting stories coming through the world's education and
      technology news. These include:

      - : RSS: A QUICK START GUIDE FOR EDUCATORS: This is an excellent article and
      beginners guide to RSS and how educators can use it with their students.
      Certainly a highly recommended and well written piece for those who want to
      keep in touch with how the very latest technology can benefit us and our
      students.

      - : THIRD PAN-CANADIAN E-LEARNING WORKSHOP: This is a video report on the
      CANARIE e-learning forum. Very interesting if you are interested in reusable
      learning objects and how they may impact on the future of e learning. The
      page also contains links to a number of other interesting multimedia
      developments that are going on in Canada.

      - : PROVIDING ACCESS TO STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES IN ONLINE DISTANCE
      EDUCATION: This article outlines the legal duties and responsibilities of
      distance education providers to make their services accessible to people
      with disabilities.

      And lastly - : INNOVATIONS IN ONLINE LEARNING: MOVING BEYOND NO SIGNIFICANT
      DIFFERENCE: This article looks at how computer based instruction is
      developing and attempting to have a significant impact on improving
      standards of education.

      These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
      the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
      articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
      line at: search.admin@...

      3. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT.

      Remember that we can support your ELT event by providing, free of charge,
      the use of one of our discussion groups. This can help you add an
      international flavour to your event and provide the opportunity for remote
      participation. Contact search.admin@... for more information.

      4. IATEFL

      To all those who are attending the IATEFL conference in Liverpool next week,
      we hope to see you there at the British Council stand. For those who can't
      attend, we'll be hoping to keep you informed through our IATEFL blog on the
      www.teachingenglish.org.uk site and through the ELTeCs lists. To find out
      more about ELTeCs and how to subscribe, visit:
      http://www.britishcouncil.org/english/eltecs/index.htm

      Remember that if you're not sure how to do something, just click on one of
      the links below:
      1. Using the advanced search (391KB)
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/search.html
      2. Viewing documents (437KB)
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/documents.html
      3. Registering as a SearchEnglish member (268KB)
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/register2.html
      4. Getting links sent to your inbox (303KB) (for registered users)
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/topic.html
      5. Posting messages to forums (163KB) (for registered users)
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/posting4.html
      6. Creating a forum (483KB) (for registered users)
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/forum.html

      As ever your feedback and suggestions are welcome at
      search.admin@... or just go to
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on FEEDBACK

      To subscribe to / unsubscribe from this newsletter visit
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org or click on this link:
      http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4402367/i.asp

      Regards

      Nik Peachey
      Manager Teaching Websites
      British Council ELT Group
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk
      http://www.britishcouncil.org/languageassistant/
    • Nik Peachey
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2004
        Apologies for cross posting

        BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

        Welcome to the second April edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
        newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
        1. TOP STORIES
        2. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT
        3. IATEFL

        1. TOP STORIES On http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
        AFRICA ANIMATED! - UNESCO LAUNCHES INITIATIVE FOR CARTOONS PRODUCTION
        "Despite efforts by regional broadcasters and the audio-visual community in
        Africa, children's programmes in Africa and in particular computer-animated
        cartoons are mostly imported from abroad. In order to address this lack of
        local content production, UNESCO launched Africa Animated!"

        A GOVERNMENT CROSSING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE TO PROMOTE ICT FOR ADULT LEARNERS
        "Appropriate training and education are important in today's global market.
        Many organisations make the mistake of not training their employees
        adequately in the utilisation of ICT or in the use of internal information
        systems. "

        AN INTRO TO ONLINE TRAINING GAMES
        "As members of the Games Generation enter the workforce, trainers must
        realise that existing lecture-based training is no longer the only effective
        method."

        WHAT'S THE BLOGGING POINT?
        "Almost every examples I have seen of serious student blogging, took place
        because running the weblog was more or less a requirement in the course.
        Students that start (and keep) a weblog without "formal requirement" are
        quite rare and only a fraction really blog in relation to their learning
        goals at all."

        OF POEMS, THE CHANGING ROLE OF A TEACHER, AND CHILDREN'S BOOKS...
        "Did you know that learning poems can be fun. Or that an Indian school can
        get some financial support to start a consumer club, and details are at the
        website fcamin.nic.in/ConsumerClub.htm. That nearly 850,000 children in the
        US are undergoing home-schooling?"

        Read more at: http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

        These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
        the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
        articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
        line at: search.admin@...

        2. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT.
        Remember that we can support your ELT event by providing, free of charge,
        the use of one of our discussion groups. This can help you add an
        international flavour to your event and provide the opportunity for remote
        participation. Contact search.admin@... for more information.
        We can also offer technical and online training support as well as a range
        of training materials and advice on how to make online participation work
        for you.

        3. IATEFL
        Lastly, many thanks to all those who dropped by the British Council stand
        for a chat last week at the IATEFL conference in Liverpool. It was good to
        meet so many people and so many SearchEnglish users. If you couldn't get to
        IATEFL and would like to know what it was all about you can visit the
        teaching English blog at
        http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2004/iatefl2004.shtml and read
        reports on a wide range of the presentations and workshops.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 13, 2004
          Apologies for cross posting:

          BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
          Welcome to the May edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
          newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
          1.TOP STORIES
          2. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS

          1 TOP STORIES
          ELECTRONIC PORTFOLIOS: BLENDING TECHNOLOGY, ACCOUNTABILITY & ASSESSMENT
          "Portfolio-based assessment and, more recently, the electronic portfolio
          have been seen as an alternative to standardized tests. An e-portfolio
          collects student work for individual teachers to grade and critique."

          USING ENGLISH FOR ACADEMIC PURPOSES: A GUIDE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
          "When you find a word you do not know, it is important to decide how much it
          is necessary to know about the word. You may need some or all of the
          following."

          RSS: A LEARNING TECHNOLOGY
          "This article is first in a quarterly series of articles that will discuss
          learning technology trends or spotlight technology trends and examine their
          applicability to learning."

          E-LEARNING THE WAY OF THE FUTURE - ACADEMICS
          "In the past year, the number of lecturers using the Internet as a teaching
          tool has doubled and is still rising. Many students can now download lecture
          notes before a class begins, or even catch up afterwards through video or
          voice recordings posted on the Internet."

          These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
          the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
          articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
          line at: search.admin@...

          2. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS.
          There are two new discussion groups this month
          MOTIVATING THE UNMOTIVATED: This group will be moderated by Daniel Escaleira
          who is currently, a full-time teacher at IBEU, a binational centre in
          Brazil. The aim of the group will be to discuss types of motivation, the
          importance of both teacher's attitude and different kinds of activities,
          which cater to different learning styles, when promoting motivation in
          class.

          USING SONGS IN ELT :This group will be moderated by Jackie McAvoy from
          British Council in Tunisia and is for sharing of ideas and resources related
          to using songs and music in the ELT classroom.

          Also within the TEACHER TRAINERS' DISCUSSION GROUP, in the documents
          section, you can find a presentation on Culture and its relationship to
          language. This has kindly been donated by Radislav Millrood and he has
          offered to answer questions and postings about this topic. To see the
          presentation you can click here:
          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/Culture%20models%20presentations.ppt
          and if you want to leave a question or discuss the issues arising from this,
          then log in and then post messages in the Teacher Trainers' discussion
          group.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 21, 2004
            Apologies for crossposting
            BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

            http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
            Welcome to the 2nd May edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
            newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
            1.TOP STORIES
            2. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY
            3. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS

            1 TOP STORIES
            FROM COMMUNICATIVE ACTIVITY TO TASK: A SHORT BUT SIGNIFICANT JOURNEY
            This paper begins with a consideration of the historical roots of task-based
            teaching, especially as they relate to communicative language teaching. It
            notes significant common elements between the notion of 'communicative
            activity' and that of 'task'.(PDF)

            OPENING THE DOOR: TEACHING STUDENTS TO USE VISUALIZATION TO IMPROVE
            COMPREHENSION
            "Each day, our students are bombarded with the visual images of TV and video
            games. In contrast, most students view reading as a passive activity. But a
            simple technique -- visualization -- can transform students of all ages from
            passive to active readers"

            "WHO DO YOUR STUDENTS SEE?"
            "When we walk into a classroom, the only thing we have to offer our students
            is who we are, and what we are, no matter how we are."

            CULTURAL SENSITIVITY IN VOLUNTARY VIRTUAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
            COMMUNITIES
            This paper considers professional development for the use of technology in
            teaching and learning. It considers the idea of professional development
            within a voluntary context. It offers a view of voluntarism as a specific
            self-directed approach to collaborative professional development. (PDF)

            PLAY GAMES, BE BETTER STUDENTS?
            "The conventional wisdom about the video-game industry is that it's all
            about entertainment. But a group of 350 game designers, educators and
            government officials think that games can be used as a tool to teach
            critical thinking"

            These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
            the last few days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
            articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
            line at: search.admin@...

            2. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY

            We are in the process of carrying out a survey to find out how best to meet
            your needs, so if you have a 3 minutes and would be kind enough to help us
            click on this link or post the URL into your browser.
            http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4642589/i.asp

            3. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS.
            The LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT forum, moderated by Jeremy day from British Council
            Poland, continues to be one of the most lively with questions about grammar
            and, most recently, about different forms of conditionals.

            If you're curious about Weblogs get along to the WEBLOG IN ELT group where
            you can find lots of useful advice and links to resources presented by
            Graham Stanley from British Council in Barcelona.

            In the USING SONGS IN ELT group, there are already some interesting
            questions about copyright and a some useful tips on how to use songs sent in
            by Joel Ashton