BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2004
      Apologies for cross posting. Hope there's something of interest here.

      BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

      Welcome to the third March edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
      newsletter. In this edition we have news on:

      1. TECHNICAL IMPROVEMENTS TO THE PORTAL

      2. TOP STORIES

      3. TRAINING MATERIALS

      1. TECHNICAL IMPROVEMENTS TO THE PORTAL

      We have now been able to add to our database of links again so going to
      sources of data and journal links.

      We have also been able to accelerate the log in process as many people had
      indicated problem with this.

      2. TOP STORIES

      Among the top stories at the moment are:

      HI-TECH PRODUCTS BLUR BOUNDARIES :- This is an article about the development
      of software to investigate 'natural speech'.

      STARTING OUT WITH WORDS THAT 'GLUE' LANGUAGE :- This article is an extract
      from the award winning book 'Natural Grammar' by Scott Thornbury.

      LEARNING BY DESIGN :- This article is about the role of video games in
      learning.

      These are just three of the articles that have appeared on the site within
      the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
      articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
      line at: search.admin@...

      3. TRAINING MATERIALS

      We have now extended our range of Flash Movie training tutorials which show
      how to do some of the essential functions of the portal. We can also supply
      copies of these to run offline for anyone wishing to carry out local
      training or build up their computer based learning resources.

      1. Using the advanced search (391KB)
      This tutorial shows you how to use the advanced search feature to search our
      ELT specific database of journal links.
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/search.html

      2. Documents (437KB)
      This tutorial shows you how to access the document store of a discussion
      group so that you can download and view the materials that have been
      contributed to the group.
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/documents.html

      3. Registering as a SearchEnglish member (268KB)
      This tutorial shows you how to register as a SearchEnglish member.
      Registering as a member enables you to contribute to the discussion forums
      and create your own search topics, which will deliver, results to your email
      inbox as regularly as you require them.
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/register2.html

      4. Getting links sent to your inbox (303KB) (You must be registered and
      logged before you do this)
      This tutorial shows you how to create a personal search topic. Once this is
      done you can receive the results of the search in your email inbox daily,
      weekly or monthly. This is an ideal feature for anyone involved in academic
      research and saves you from having to go to the web to search.
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/topic.html

      5. Posting messages to forums (163KB) (You must be registered and logged
      before you do this)
      This tutorial shows you how to post a message to the discussion group
      forums. This feature enables you to post questions, share information and
      interact with other SearchEnglish users or one of our guest moderators.
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/posting4.html

      6. Creating a forum (483KB) (You must be registered and logged before you do
      this)
      In the discussion groups you can create your own forums and add a number of
      topics to each forum. This tutorial shows you how to create a forum, create
      a topic within the forum and then post a message to the forum.
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/forum.html

      As ever your feedback and suggestions are welcome at
      search.admin@... or just go to
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on FEEDBACK

      To subscribe to / unsubscribe from this newsletter visit
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org or click on this link:
      http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4402367/i.asp

      Nik Peachey
      Manager Teaching Websites
      British Council ELT Group
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk
      http://www.britishcouncil.org/languageassistant
    • Nik Peachey
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
        Apologies for cross posting.

        BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

        Welcome to the April edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
        newsletter. In this edition we have news on:

        1. APOLOGIES

        2. TOP STORIES

        3. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT

        4. IATEFL

        1. FIRST OF ALL, APOLOGIES to all our regular users for the break in our
        service. SearchEnglish has been down for the last week due to an underground
        fire in the Manchester post office exchange which has effected thousands of
        Internet users all over the UK. I'm glad to say that the damage has been
        fixed and SearchEnglish is once again live.

        2. TOP STORIES

        We have been busy over the last couple of days linking to some of the best
        and most interesting stories coming through the world's education and
        technology news. These include:

        - : RSS: A QUICK START GUIDE FOR EDUCATORS: This is an excellent article and
        beginners guide to RSS and how educators can use it with their students.
        Certainly a highly recommended and well written piece for those who want to
        keep in touch with how the very latest technology can benefit us and our
        students.

        - : THIRD PAN-CANADIAN E-LEARNING WORKSHOP: This is a video report on the
        CANARIE e-learning forum. Very interesting if you are interested in reusable
        learning objects and how they may impact on the future of e learning. The
        page also contains links to a number of other interesting multimedia
        developments that are going on in Canada.

        - : PROVIDING ACCESS TO STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES IN ONLINE DISTANCE
        EDUCATION: This article outlines the legal duties and responsibilities of
        distance education providers to make their services accessible to people
        with disabilities.

        And lastly - : INNOVATIONS IN ONLINE LEARNING: MOVING BEYOND NO SIGNIFICANT
        DIFFERENCE: This article looks at how computer based instruction is
        developing and attempting to have a significant impact on improving
        standards of education.

        These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
        the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
        articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
        line at: search.admin@...

        3. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT.

        Remember that we can support your ELT event by providing, free of charge,
        the use of one of our discussion groups. This can help you add an
        international flavour to your event and provide the opportunity for remote
        participation. Contact search.admin@... for more information.

        4. IATEFL

        To all those who are attending the IATEFL conference in Liverpool next week,
        we hope to see you there at the British Council stand. For those who can't
        attend, we'll be hoping to keep you informed through our IATEFL blog on the
        www.teachingenglish.org.uk site and through the ELTeCs lists. To find out
        more about ELTeCs and how to subscribe, visit:
        http://www.britishcouncil.org/english/eltecs/index.htm

        Remember that if you're not sure how to do something, just click on one of
        the links below:
        1. Using the advanced search (391KB)
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/search.html
        2. Viewing documents (437KB)
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/documents.html
        3. Registering as a SearchEnglish member (268KB)
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/register2.html
        4. Getting links sent to your inbox (303KB) (for registered users)
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/topic.html
        5. Posting messages to forums (163KB) (for registered users)
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/posting4.html
        6. Creating a forum (483KB) (for registered users)
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/forum.html

        As ever your feedback and suggestions are welcome at
        search.admin@... or just go to
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on FEEDBACK

        To subscribe to / unsubscribe from this newsletter visit
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org or click on this link:
        http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4402367/i.asp

        Regards

        Nik Peachey
        Manager Teaching Websites
        British Council ELT Group
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 21, 2004
          Apologies for cross posting

          BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS
          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

          Welcome to the second April edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
          newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
          1. TOP STORIES
          2. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT
          3. IATEFL

          1. TOP STORIES On http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
          AFRICA ANIMATED! - UNESCO LAUNCHES INITIATIVE FOR CARTOONS PRODUCTION
          "Despite efforts by regional broadcasters and the audio-visual community in
          Africa, children's programmes in Africa and in particular computer-animated
          cartoons are mostly imported from abroad. In order to address this lack of
          local content production, UNESCO launched Africa Animated!"

          A GOVERNMENT CROSSING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE TO PROMOTE ICT FOR ADULT LEARNERS
          "Appropriate training and education are important in today's global market.
          Many organisations make the mistake of not training their employees
          adequately in the utilisation of ICT or in the use of internal information
          systems. "

          AN INTRO TO ONLINE TRAINING GAMES
          "As members of the Games Generation enter the workforce, trainers must
          realise that existing lecture-based training is no longer the only effective
          method."

          WHAT'S THE BLOGGING POINT?
          "Almost every examples I have seen of serious student blogging, took place
          because running the weblog was more or less a requirement in the course.
          Students that start (and keep) a weblog without "formal requirement" are
          quite rare and only a fraction really blog in relation to their learning
          goals at all."

          OF POEMS, THE CHANGING ROLE OF A TEACHER, AND CHILDREN'S BOOKS...
          "Did you know that learning poems can be fun. Or that an Indian school can
          get some financial support to start a consumer club, and details are at the
          website fcamin.nic.in/ConsumerClub.htm. That nearly 850,000 children in the
          US are undergoing home-schooling?"

          Read more at: http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

          These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
          the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
          articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
          line at: search.admin@...

          2. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT.
          Remember that we can support your ELT event by providing, free of charge,
          the use of one of our discussion groups. This can help you add an
          international flavour to your event and provide the opportunity for remote
          participation. Contact search.admin@... for more information.
          We can also offer technical and online training support as well as a range
          of training materials and advice on how to make online participation work
          for you.

          3. IATEFL
          Lastly, many thanks to all those who dropped by the British Council stand
          for a chat last week at the IATEFL conference in Liverpool. It was good to
          meet so many people and so many SearchEnglish users. If you couldn't get to
          IATEFL and would like to know what it was all about you can visit the
          teaching English blog at
          http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2004/iatefl2004.shtml and read
          reports on a wide range of the presentations and workshops.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 13, 2004
            Apologies for cross posting:

            BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

            http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
            Welcome to the May edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
            newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
            1.TOP STORIES
            2. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS

            1 TOP STORIES
            ELECTRONIC PORTFOLIOS: BLENDING TECHNOLOGY, ACCOUNTABILITY & ASSESSMENT
            "Portfolio-based assessment and, more recently, the electronic portfolio
            have been seen as an alternative to standardized tests. An e-portfolio
            collects student work for individual teachers to grade and critique."

            USING ENGLISH FOR ACADEMIC PURPOSES: A GUIDE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
            "When you find a word you do not know, it is important to decide how much it
            is necessary to know about the word. You may need some or all of the
            following."

            RSS: A LEARNING TECHNOLOGY
            "This article is first in a quarterly series of articles that will discuss
            learning technology trends or spotlight technology trends and examine their
            applicability to learning."

            E-LEARNING THE WAY OF THE FUTURE - ACADEMICS
            "In the past year, the number of lecturers using the Internet as a teaching
            tool has doubled and is still rising. Many students can now download lecture
            notes before a class begins, or even catch up afterwards through video or
            voice recordings posted on the Internet."

            These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
            the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
            articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
            line at: search.admin@...

            2. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS.
            There are two new discussion groups this month
            MOTIVATING THE UNMOTIVATED: This group will be moderated by Daniel Escaleira
            who is currently, a full-time teacher at IBEU, a binational centre in
            Brazil. The aim of the group will be to discuss types of motivation, the
            importance of both teacher's attitude and different kinds of activities,
            which cater to different learning styles, when promoting motivation in
            class.

            USING SONGS IN ELT :This group will be moderated by Jackie McAvoy from
            British Council in Tunisia and is for sharing of ideas and resources related
            to using songs and music in the ELT classroom.

            Also within the TEACHER TRAINERS' DISCUSSION GROUP, in the documents
            section, you can find a presentation on Culture and its relationship to
            language. This has kindly been donated by Radislav Millrood and he has
            offered to answer questions and postings about this topic. To see the
            presentation you can click here:
            http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/Culture%20models%20presentations.ppt
            and if you want to leave a question or discuss the issues arising from this,
            then log in and then post messages in the Teacher Trainers' discussion
            group.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 21, 2004
              Apologies for crossposting
              BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

              http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
              Welcome to the 2nd May edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
              newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
              1.TOP STORIES
              2. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY
              3. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS

              1 TOP STORIES
              FROM COMMUNICATIVE ACTIVITY TO TASK: A SHORT BUT SIGNIFICANT JOURNEY
              This paper begins with a consideration of the historical roots of task-based
              teaching, especially as they relate to communicative language teaching. It
              notes significant common elements between the notion of 'communicative
              activity' and that of 'task'.(PDF)

              OPENING THE DOOR: TEACHING STUDENTS TO USE VISUALIZATION TO IMPROVE
              COMPREHENSION
              "Each day, our students are bombarded with the visual images of TV and video
              games. In contrast, most students view reading as a passive activity. But a
              simple technique -- visualization -- can transform students of all ages from
              passive to active readers"

              "WHO DO YOUR STUDENTS SEE?"
              "When we walk into a classroom, the only thing we have to offer our students
              is who we are, and what we are, no matter how we are."

              CULTURAL SENSITIVITY IN VOLUNTARY VIRTUAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
              COMMUNITIES
              This paper considers professional development for the use of technology in
              teaching and learning. It considers the idea of professional development
              within a voluntary context. It offers a view of voluntarism as a specific
              self-directed approach to collaborative professional development. (PDF)

              PLAY GAMES, BE BETTER STUDENTS?
              "The conventional wisdom about the video-game industry is that it's all
              about entertainment. But a group of 350 game designers, educators and
              government officials think that games can be used as a tool to teach
              critical thinking"

              These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
              the last few days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
              articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
              line at: search.admin@...

              2. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY

              We are in the process of carrying out a survey to find out how best to meet
              your needs, so if you have a 3 minutes and would be kind enough to help us
              click on this link or post the URL into your browser.
              http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4642589/i.asp

              3. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS.
              The LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT forum, moderated by Jeremy day from British Council
              Poland, continues to be one of the most lively with questions about grammar
              and, most recently, about different forms of conditionals.

              If you're curious about Weblogs get along to the WEBLOG IN ELT group where
              you can find lots of useful advice and links to resources presented by
              Graham Stanley from British Council in Barcelona.

              In the USING SONGS IN ELT group, there are already some interesting
              questions about copyright and a some useful tips on how to use songs sent in
              by Joel Ashton