BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2004
      Apologies for cross posting

      BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

      Welcome to the second March edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
      newsletter.

      As ever we have plenty to report.

      Firstly, we have introduced an archive to our TOP STORIES feature, so that
      now you can browse through over a hundred links to some of the best ELT and
      educational technology related news articles from the last two years. Just
      got to http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on the archive link
      on the Top stories banner.

      Among the top stories at the moment are:

      -: COMMUNICATING INTELLIGENTLY WITH COMPUTERS an article about the striking
      recent developments in artificial intelligence, which could see us all soon
      chatting with our computers.

      -: ENCYCLOPEDIAS GATHER DUST IN INTERNET AGE an article describing the
      demise of libraries and paper based knowledge transfer.

      -: DEGREES OF SEPARATION, which explores the issues, arising from the
      isolation of being a distance learner.

      Remember these are just a few of the articles that have appeared on the site
      over the last coupe of weeks and we are constantly updating these as and
      when new interesting articles appear. We also welcome your help in directing
      us towards useful articles so if you see something you think others should
      see then drop us a line at: search.admin@...

      DISCUSSION GROUPS:

      Our discussion groups have been getting busier recently and among the issues
      being discussed are:

      -: ONLINE LEARNING: Does teaching online pay?

      -: LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT: Should we really be teaching Grammar?

      -: ELTAI: How do we define study skills for ICT in ELT?

      If you would like to see a Flash movie of how to post to out forums then
      follow this link:
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/posting4.swf

      DOCUMENTS

      We have a growing collection of documents in each discussion group. The most
      recent addition is a wonderful presentation on HOW TO MAKE POWERPOINT
      INTERACTIVE by Sandy Scott. You can download this from the DOCUMENTS section
      of the ELTAI group. To see a Flash movie of how to access the document store
      follow this link:
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/documents.swf

      OUR DATABASE

      As ever our database continues to pull in links from the web every four
      hours. If you'd like to see a Flash movie of how to use the advanced search
      feature to find the best journal articles on the web follow this link:
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/search2.swf

      As ever your feedback and suggestions are welcome at
      search.admin@... or just go to
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on FEEDBACK

      To subscribe to / unsubscribe from this newsletter visit
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org or click on this link:
      http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4402367/i.asp

      Lastly, many thanks for your continued support. Last month was our busiest
      ever with close to 6,000 visitors accessing more than 30,000 pages.

      Have a good week

      Nik Peachey
      Manager Teaching Websites
      British Council ELT Group
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk
      http://www.britishcouncil.org/languageassistant/
    • Nik Peachey
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2004
        Apologies for cross posting. Hope there's something of interest here.

        BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

        Welcome to the third March edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
        newsletter. In this edition we have news on:

        1. TECHNICAL IMPROVEMENTS TO THE PORTAL

        2. TOP STORIES

        3. TRAINING MATERIALS

        1. TECHNICAL IMPROVEMENTS TO THE PORTAL

        We have now been able to add to our database of links again so going to
        sources of data and journal links.

        We have also been able to accelerate the log in process as many people had
        indicated problem with this.

        2. TOP STORIES

        Among the top stories at the moment are:

        HI-TECH PRODUCTS BLUR BOUNDARIES :- This is an article about the development
        of software to investigate 'natural speech'.

        STARTING OUT WITH WORDS THAT 'GLUE' LANGUAGE :- This article is an extract
        from the award winning book 'Natural Grammar' by Scott Thornbury.

        LEARNING BY DESIGN :- This article is about the role of video games in
        learning.

        These are just three of the articles that have appeared on the site within
        the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
        articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
        line at: search.admin@...

        3. TRAINING MATERIALS

        We have now extended our range of Flash Movie training tutorials which show
        how to do some of the essential functions of the portal. We can also supply
        copies of these to run offline for anyone wishing to carry out local
        training or build up their computer based learning resources.

        1. Using the advanced search (391KB)
        This tutorial shows you how to use the advanced search feature to search our
        ELT specific database of journal links.
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/search.html

        2. Documents (437KB)
        This tutorial shows you how to access the document store of a discussion
        group so that you can download and view the materials that have been
        contributed to the group.
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/documents.html

        3. Registering as a SearchEnglish member (268KB)
        This tutorial shows you how to register as a SearchEnglish member.
        Registering as a member enables you to contribute to the discussion forums
        and create your own search topics, which will deliver, results to your email
        inbox as regularly as you require them.
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/register2.html

        4. Getting links sent to your inbox (303KB) (You must be registered and
        logged before you do this)
        This tutorial shows you how to create a personal search topic. Once this is
        done you can receive the results of the search in your email inbox daily,
        weekly or monthly. This is an ideal feature for anyone involved in academic
        research and saves you from having to go to the web to search.
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/topic.html

        5. Posting messages to forums (163KB) (You must be registered and logged
        before you do this)
        This tutorial shows you how to post a message to the discussion group
        forums. This feature enables you to post questions, share information and
        interact with other SearchEnglish users or one of our guest moderators.
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/posting4.html

        6. Creating a forum (483KB) (You must be registered and logged before you do
        this)
        In the discussion groups you can create your own forums and add a number of
        topics to each forum. This tutorial shows you how to create a forum, create
        a topic within the forum and then post a message to the forum.
        http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/forum.html

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
          Apologies for cross posting.

          BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

          Welcome to the April edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
          newsletter. In this edition we have news on:

          1. APOLOGIES

          2. TOP STORIES

          3. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT

          4. IATEFL

          1. FIRST OF ALL, APOLOGIES to all our regular users for the break in our
          service. SearchEnglish has been down for the last week due to an underground
          fire in the Manchester post office exchange which has effected thousands of
          Internet users all over the UK. I'm glad to say that the damage has been
          fixed and SearchEnglish is once again live.

          2. TOP STORIES

          We have been busy over the last couple of days linking to some of the best
          and most interesting stories coming through the world's education and
          technology news. These include:

          - : RSS: A QUICK START GUIDE FOR EDUCATORS: This is an excellent article and
          beginners guide to RSS and how educators can use it with their students.
          Certainly a highly recommended and well written piece for those who want to
          keep in touch with how the very latest technology can benefit us and our
          students.

          - : THIRD PAN-CANADIAN E-LEARNING WORKSHOP: This is a video report on the
          CANARIE e-learning forum. Very interesting if you are interested in reusable
          learning objects and how they may impact on the future of e learning. The
          page also contains links to a number of other interesting multimedia
          developments that are going on in Canada.

          - : PROVIDING ACCESS TO STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES IN ONLINE DISTANCE
          EDUCATION: This article outlines the legal duties and responsibilities of
          distance education providers to make their services accessible to people
          with disabilities.

          And lastly - : INNOVATIONS IN ONLINE LEARNING: MOVING BEYOND NO SIGNIFICANT
          DIFFERENCE: This article looks at how computer based instruction is
          developing and attempting to have a significant impact on improving
          standards of education.

          These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
          the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
          articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
          line at: search.admin@...

          3. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT.

          Remember that we can support your ELT event by providing, free of charge,
          the use of one of our discussion groups. This can help you add an
          international flavour to your event and provide the opportunity for remote
          participation. Contact search.admin@... for more information.

          4. IATEFL

          To all those who are attending the IATEFL conference in Liverpool next week,
          we hope to see you there at the British Council stand. For those who can't
          attend, we'll be hoping to keep you informed through our IATEFL blog on the
          www.teachingenglish.org.uk site and through the ELTeCs lists. To find out
          more about ELTeCs and how to subscribe, visit:
          http://www.britishcouncil.org/english/eltecs/index.htm

          Remember that if you're not sure how to do something, just click on one of
          the links below:
          1. Using the advanced search (391KB)
          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/search.html
          2. Viewing documents (437KB)
          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/documents.html
          3. Registering as a SearchEnglish member (268KB)
          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/register2.html
          4. Getting links sent to your inbox (303KB) (for registered users)
          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/topic.html
          5. Posting messages to forums (163KB) (for registered users)
          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/posting4.html
          6. Creating a forum (483KB) (for registered users)
          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/forum.html

          As ever your feedback and suggestions are welcome at
          search.admin@... or just go to
          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on FEEDBACK

          To subscribe to / unsubscribe from this newsletter visit
          http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org or click on this link:
          http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4402367/i.asp

          Regards

          Nik Peachey
          Manager Teaching Websites
          British Council ELT Group
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21, 2004
            Apologies for cross posting

            BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS
            http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

            Welcome to the second April edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
            newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
            1. TOP STORIES
            2. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT
            3. IATEFL

            1. TOP STORIES On http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
            AFRICA ANIMATED! - UNESCO LAUNCHES INITIATIVE FOR CARTOONS PRODUCTION
            "Despite efforts by regional broadcasters and the audio-visual community in
            Africa, children's programmes in Africa and in particular computer-animated
            cartoons are mostly imported from abroad. In order to address this lack of
            local content production, UNESCO launched Africa Animated!"

            A GOVERNMENT CROSSING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE TO PROMOTE ICT FOR ADULT LEARNERS
            "Appropriate training and education are important in today's global market.
            Many organisations make the mistake of not training their employees
            adequately in the utilisation of ICT or in the use of internal information
            systems. "

            AN INTRO TO ONLINE TRAINING GAMES
            "As members of the Games Generation enter the workforce, trainers must
            realise that existing lecture-based training is no longer the only effective
            method."

            WHAT'S THE BLOGGING POINT?
            "Almost every examples I have seen of serious student blogging, took place
            because running the weblog was more or less a requirement in the course.
            Students that start (and keep) a weblog without "formal requirement" are
            quite rare and only a fraction really blog in relation to their learning
            goals at all."

            OF POEMS, THE CHANGING ROLE OF A TEACHER, AND CHILDREN'S BOOKS...
            "Did you know that learning poems can be fun. Or that an Indian school can
            get some financial support to start a consumer club, and details are at the
            website fcamin.nic.in/ConsumerClub.htm. That nearly 850,000 children in the
            US are undergoing home-schooling?"

            Read more at: http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

            These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
            the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
            articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
            line at: search.admin@...

            2. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT.
            Remember that we can support your ELT event by providing, free of charge,
            the use of one of our discussion groups. This can help you add an
            international flavour to your event and provide the opportunity for remote
            participation. Contact search.admin@... for more information.
            We can also offer technical and online training support as well as a range
            of training materials and advice on how to make online participation work
            for you.

            3. IATEFL
            Lastly, many thanks to all those who dropped by the British Council stand
            for a chat last week at the IATEFL conference in Liverpool. It was good to
            meet so many people and so many SearchEnglish users. If you couldn't get to
            IATEFL and would like to know what it was all about you can visit the
            teaching English blog at
            http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2004/iatefl2004.shtml and read
            reports on a wide range of the presentations and workshops.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 13, 2004
              Apologies for cross posting:

              BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

              http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
              Welcome to the May edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
              newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
              1.TOP STORIES
              2. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS

              1 TOP STORIES
              ELECTRONIC PORTFOLIOS: BLENDING TECHNOLOGY, ACCOUNTABILITY & ASSESSMENT
              "Portfolio-based assessment and, more recently, the electronic portfolio
              have been seen as an alternative to standardized tests. An e-portfolio
              collects student work for individual teachers to grade and critique."

              USING ENGLISH FOR ACADEMIC PURPOSES: A GUIDE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
              "When you find a word you do not know, it is important to decide how much it
              is necessary to know about the word. You may need some or all of the
              following."

              RSS: A LEARNING TECHNOLOGY
              "This article is first in a quarterly series of articles that will discuss
              learning technology trends or spotlight technology trends and examine their
              applicability to learning."

              E-LEARNING THE WAY OF THE FUTURE - ACADEMICS
              "In the past year, the number of lecturers using the Internet as a teaching
              tool has doubled and is still rising. Many students can now download lecture
              notes before a class begins, or even catch up afterwards through video or
              voice recordings posted on the Internet."

              These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
              the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
              articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
              line at: search.admin@...

              2. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS.
              There are two new discussion groups this month
              MOTIVATING THE UNMOTIVATED: This group will be moderated by Daniel Escaleira
              who is currently, a full-time teacher at IBEU, a binational centre in
              Brazil. The aim of the group will be to discuss types of motivation, the
              importance of both teacher's attitude and different kinds of activities,
              which cater to different learning styles, when promoting motivation in
              class.

              USING SONGS IN ELT :This group will be moderated by Jackie McAvoy from
              British Council in Tunisia and is for sharing of ideas and resources related
              to using songs and music in the ELT classroom.

              Also within the TEACHER TRAINERS' DISCUSSION GROUP, in the documents
              section, you can find a presentation on Culture and its relationship to
              language. This has kindly been donated by Radislav Millrood and he has
              offered to answer questions and postings about this topic. To see the
              presentation you can click here:
              http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/attachments/se/Culture%20models%20presentations.ppt
              and if you want to leave a question or discuss the issues arising from this,
              then log in and then post messages in the Teacher Trainers' discussion
              group.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 21, 2004
                Apologies for crossposting
                BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

                http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
                Welcome to the 2nd May edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
                newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
                1.TOP STORIES
                2. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY
                3. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS

                1 TOP STORIES
                FROM COMMUNICATIVE ACTIVITY TO TASK: A SHORT BUT SIGNIFICANT JOURNEY
                This paper begins with a consideration of the historical roots of task-based
                teaching, especially as they relate to communicative language teaching. It
                notes significant common elements between the notion of 'communicative
                activity' and that of 'task'.(PDF)

                OPENING THE DOOR: TEACHING STUDENTS TO USE VISUALIZATION TO IMPROVE
                COMPREHENSION
                "Each day, our students are bombarded with the visual images of TV and video
                games. In contrast, most students view reading as a passive activity. But a
                simple technique -- visualization -- can transform students of all ages from
                passive to active readers"

                "WHO DO YOUR STUDENTS SEE?"
                "When we walk into a classroom, the only thing we have to offer our students
                is who we are, and what we are, no matter how we are."

                CULTURAL SENSITIVITY IN VOLUNTARY VIRTUAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
                COMMUNITIES
                This paper considers professional development for the use of technology in
                teaching and learning. It considers the idea of professional development
                within a voluntary context. It offers a view of voluntarism as a specific
                self-directed approach to collaborative professional development. (PDF)

                PLAY GAMES, BE BETTER STUDENTS?
                "The conventional wisdom about the video-game industry is that it's all
                about entertainment. But a group of 350 game designers, educators and
                government officials think that games can be used as a tool to teach
                critical thinking"

                These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
                the last few days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
                articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
                line at: search.admin@...

                2. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY

                We are in the process of carrying out a survey to find out how best to meet
                your needs, so if you have a 3 minutes and would be kind enough to help us
                click on this link or post the URL into your browser.
                http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4642589/i.asp

                3. DISCUSSION GROUPS NEWS.
                The LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT forum, moderated by Jeremy day from British Council
                Poland, continues to be one of the most lively with questions about grammar
                and, most recently, about different forms of conditionals.

                If you're curious about Weblogs get along to the WEBLOG IN ELT group where
                you can find lots of useful advice and links to resources presented by
                Graham Stanley from British Council in Barcelona.

                In the USING SONGS IN ELT group, there are already some interesting
                questions about copyright and a some useful tips on how to use songs sent in
                by Joel Ashton