Lexical Website

  • Tilly Warren
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2004
      This is in reply to Paul Hullock's request for information about corpus
      sites to use with students. I didn't realise the BNC sample service was down
      although I knew that the Cobuild site [Collins Cobuild Corpus Concordance
      Sampler http://titania.cobuild.collins.co.uk/form.html%5d had been out of
      action for a while. This is bad news since these both gave access to the
      largest corpora available (420 and 100 million words respectively) and so it
      would be hard to find a good replacement. If you e-mail Cobuild however,
      they will tell you how to access a demo corpus by Telnet but only for words
      beginning with 'd'.

      There is another site which I would like to recommend. I was told about it a
      few months ago and have found it very useful. It has a lot of neat tools for
      all kinds of lexical study. One nice feature is that teachers can input
      their own text and it will make a website which gives concordance lines from
      a 1 million word corpus (Brown) as well as on-line definitions of all the
      words in it. With the relevant plug-in you can even get the computer to
      speak the words in your text too!

      The site is the Compleat Lexical Tutor Collins http://132.208.224.131/

      Tilly