Re: Discourse of discussion boards

  • afavaverde
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
      Dear Karen

      I am currently doing some research in the area and have come across
      the following articles which you may find useful, particularly for
      their bibliographies.

      1. Judith Lapadat discusses the value of asynchronous conferencing
      in developing students' critical thinking skills (in an L1 context)
      and discusses the nature of online written interaction at :

      www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol7/issue4/lapadat.html

      2. Susan Sotillo (2000) "Discourse functions and syntactic
      complexity in synchronous and asynchronous communication". Language
      Learning and Technology, 4 82-89. Available online at:

      http//llt.msu.edu/

      examines "the qualitative and quantitative aspects of electronic
      discourse functions and syntactic complexity in the written output
      of learners enrolled in two sections of advanced ESL writing that
      used different modes of CMC: synchronous and asynchronous
      communication."

      I hope these are helpful

      Amanda Fava-Verde
      MA (TEFL) student
      Reading University, UK

      --- In IATEFLComputerSig@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Haines"
      <khaines@u...> wrote:
      > I am interested in doing some research in this area ie. discourse
      that is used in discussion boards in an academic context. I am aware
      there is functional language similar to that used in oral
      discussion, but from my observation, discussion boards operate as a
      sort of hybrid of speech/writing, so it may be a new area from the
      perspective of discourse. I wonder if there is valuable language
      support that we can give our EFL students intending to move into
      mainstream academic classes where discussion boards are a normal
      part of coursework.

      > Anyone out there with experience in this area, or who has come
      across references to research already done etc.?