Useful sites for ELT

  • Peachey Pape
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2003
      Dear Members,

      I'd just like to make you aware of three free websites that provide services
      for English language Teachers.

      These are:

      Teaching English: http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/
      This site provides a range of services including weekly up dated articles on
      methodology, activities to try and lesson plans complete with materials.
      There is also a community of language teachers who use the 'Talk' section to
      exchange ideas and opinions on ELT. You can also download quizzes and a
      variety of reference materials from the site, or if you feel you have ideas
      or opinions that you feel would be useful to share with others you could
      submit and article or a lesson plan.

      Search English: http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/
      Search English is a powerful search engine and community building tool that
      draws on databases of ELT news related articles and ELT journals which have
      been specifically selected. The site enables registered users to set up
      ongoing search queries and receive up dates by email. As well as this, the
      site offers a number of community building features including forums and
      groups which can be used create special interest communities to store and
      exchange documents as well as ideas and opinions.

      Language Assistants: http://www.britishcouncil.org/languageassistant/
      The language assistants' site was designed specifically to support English
      native speakers going abroad to work as language assistants. The site has
      regularly up dated teaching tips, links and materials that focus on
      developing understanding of UK culture. There is also a free downloadable
      teaching manual which would be ideal for novice teachers.

      I hope you find these sites useful and share them with friends students and
      colleagues.

      Best wishes

      Nik Peachey
      British Council Teaching Websites Manager
      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org/
      http://www.britishcouncil.org/languageassistant/

      ---