distance learning

  • Sabine Boehm
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2003
      Dear Lev and other colleagues

      I really thought that students wanting a distance-learning course choose it
      because they cannot attent a "normal" live course in a group, maybe as they
      live too far away of as the time a "normal" course is offered doesn't suit
      them or takes place too often per week or month etc. Maybe for other
      reasons, too, e.g. they might need more time for solving problems than the
      majority of participants in a group, are too shy to speak in front of
      others etc.

      Also, of course, the credit or certificate awarded by a distance-learning
      course after passing the final tests should be well-known and officially
      recognised, which isn't easy to achieve if you are starting and if you have
      no lobby to support you.

      German univesity language centres have created their own certificate called
      UNIcert and that process has taken quite a while. UNIcert is now on the way
      of gaining recognition even outside Germany but it took some time to
      convince universities here to become UNIcert members. The effort was made
      by the universities themselves that founded professional associations.

      Think of the Open University, how successful they are. But think of the
      support they have received from the government and probably others, too!

      So, it's finding your clients, i.e. Market Research, and getting official
      support, apart from all the professional skills, effort and money invested,
      I believe. Viki mentioned something like that.

      Best wishes and my admiration to Lev and all who have launched such projects.

      Sabine Böhm
      Lecturer in Englsh, Language Centre, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany