RE: [IATEFLComputer Sig] self-study software

  • Richard Davie
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
      You might want to look at GrammEx from the TELL Consortium based in at Hull
      Uni (at http://www.hull.ac.uk/cti/tell/). It's no-nonsense,
      read-the-explanation, click-and-bash software, but it is incredibly CHEAP,
      but perfectly good for the serious (higher level?) grammar-phile, and in our
      experience as well used as the fancier products like Tensebuster.

      For pronunciation, I was impressed by Sky Software's Stress & Rhythm and
      Word & Phrasal Stress (see http://www.skysoftwarehouse.com/programs.html)

      I'm not sure how well it would work for self-study, but you could try
      automatice exercise-generation software of the Wida Storyboard type: you
      would have to feed in the texts, the programme does the rest. Whether the
      students take to it is another matter. Again, a no-nonsense version of this
      kind of thing is Fun with Texts by Camsoft
      (http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/).

      Richard Davie
      ELTD, University of Strathclyde
      Tel: 0141 - 548 - 3065 (John Anderson campus) 0141 - 950 - 3620 (Jordanhill
      campus)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2003
        At 12:55 04/06/2003 +0100, George Daniels wrote:
        >Hi everyone
        >
        >I've been asked to find self-study software to install on computers in
        >my school's Self-Access Centre. This is in a UK language school, so the
        >students are of all levels and nationalities. Does anyone else have any
        >suggestions for useful, tried-and-tested self-study software? I'm
        >interested in pronunciation software, grammar, vocab, etc.
        >
        >Thanks in advance for your help.
        >
        >George Daniels
        >
        >General English Teacher, UK
        >majdnem@...

        Apologies for the vested interests, but here are some highlights from the
        Cambridge collection:

        * the new (Cambridge) English Pronouncing Dictionary 16th edition, with for
        the first time a CD-ROM, for pronunciation reference and practice
        * the new Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary CD-ROM, especially
        perhaps the SmartThesaurus feature which should prove very useful both for
        self-study vocabulary expansion and for lesson preparation
        * Telephoning in English CD-ROM
        * the "bonus extra CD-ROM" with English and Essential Grammar in Use
        * our TOEFL preparation CD-ROM
        * New Interchange CD-ROMs (for American English)
        * English in Toby CD-ROMs (for young learners)
        * the older, already mentioned, First Certificate Creative Writing CD-ROM
        (requires a freely available patch for Windows 2000+)

        I'll leave others to comment on how useful they find these products.

        See http://uk.cambridge.org/elt/cdrom for full details on these and other
        Cambridge ELT CD-ROM products.

        Andrew Harley
        Electronic Development Manager
        English Language Teaching & Dictionaries
        Cambridge University Press

        Direct line: (01223)325880

        http://uk.cambridge.org/elt/cdrom

        Cambridge Dictionaries Online - the web's favourite learner's dictionary
        http://dictionary.cambridge.org