Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] self-study software

  • Geoff Taylor
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8 8:52 AM
      Hi George

      > I've been asked to find self-study software to install on computers in
      > my school's Self-Access Centre. This is in a UK language school, so the
      > students are of all levels and nationalities. Does anyone else have any
      > suggestions for useful, tried-and-tested self-study software? I'm
      > interested in pronunciation software, grammar, vocab, etc.

      Pre-authored software:
      Integrated lessons:
      - Reward series of CD-ROMs. Four levels (Elem, Pre-Int, Int, Upper Int).
      Like the course books, has a bit of everything: listening, grammar,
      vocabulary, pronunciation, reading, writing. Much better than the course
      books, which I don't like much at all: well staged, interactive,
      challenging. Includes high quality video lessons too, which students like.
      Good value (double CD of about 100 hours material for £45), though expensive
      to get class sets of all levels.
      Grammar:
      - Clarity's Tensebuster 2001, 5 levels (Elem - Adv). Networked version
      available. Very thorough, if not very exciting.
      Pron:
      - Try Sky Software (Don Friend)'s stuff. We have Phonemic Alphabet, one on
      Stress and Rhythm. Low production values, but pedagogically high quality.
      Relatively cheap site licences.
      Vocabulary:
      - Educational Software Products (Angus and Sandy Savory) do several fun
      programmes (apparently based on a common dictionary database): Crossword
      Challenge, Word Invaders (like space invaders), Beat the Clock (guess the
      word from definition before time runs out), Error Terror (similar to space
      invaders). Good value, authorable, relatively cheap. We got their whole
      catalogue!
      Exam software:
      - Educational Software Products (Angus and Sandy Savory) produce 3 Cambridge
      tutors (papers 1, 2 and 3), again quite reasonably priced.
      - FC Creative Writing CD-ROM is very stimulating, and quite reasonably
      priced.

      --
      Geoff Taylor
      gjtaylor@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9 3:37 AM
        You might want to look at GrammEx from the TELL Consortium based in at Hull
        Uni (at http://www.hull.ac.uk/cti/tell/). It's no-nonsense,
        read-the-explanation, click-and-bash software, but it is incredibly CHEAP,
        but perfectly good for the serious (higher level?) grammar-phile, and in our
        experience as well used as the fancier products like Tensebuster.

        For pronunciation, I was impressed by Sky Software's Stress & Rhythm and
        Word & Phrasal Stress (see http://www.skysoftwarehouse.com/programs.html)

        I'm not sure how well it would work for self-study, but you could try
        automatice exercise-generation software of the Wida Storyboard type: you
        would have to feed in the texts, the programme does the rest. Whether the
        students take to it is another matter. Again, a no-nonsense version of this
        kind of thing is Fun with Texts by Camsoft
        (http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/).

        Richard Davie
        ELTD, University of Strathclyde
        Tel: 0141 - 548 - 3065 (John Anderson campus) 0141 - 950 - 3620 (Jordanhill
        campus)
        I've been asked to find self-study software to install on computers in
        my school's Self-Access Centre. This is in a UK language school, so the
        students are of all levels and nationalities. Does anyone else have any
        suggestions for useful, tried-and-tested self-study software? I'm
        interested in pronunciation software, grammar, vocab, etc.

        Thanks in advance for your help.

        George Daniels

        General English Teacher, UK
        majdnem@...

      • Andrew Harley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12 8:13 AM
          At 12:55 04/06/2003 +0100, George Daniels wrote:
          >Hi everyone
          >
          >I've been asked to find self-study software to install on computers in
          >my school's Self-Access Centre. This is in a UK language school, so the
          >students are of all levels and nationalities. Does anyone else have any
          >suggestions for useful, tried-and-tested self-study software? I'm
          >interested in pronunciation software, grammar, vocab, etc.
          >
          >Thanks in advance for your help.
          >
          >George Daniels
          >
          >General English Teacher, UK
          >majdnem@...

          Apologies for the vested interests, but here are some highlights from the
          Cambridge collection:

          * the new (Cambridge) English Pronouncing Dictionary 16th edition, with for
          the first time a CD-ROM, for pronunciation reference and practice
          * the new Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary CD-ROM, especially
          perhaps the SmartThesaurus feature which should prove very useful both for
          self-study vocabulary expansion and for lesson preparation
          * Telephoning in English CD-ROM
          * the "bonus extra CD-ROM" with English and Essential Grammar in Use
          * our TOEFL preparation CD-ROM
          * New Interchange CD-ROMs (for American English)
          * English in Toby CD-ROMs (for young learners)
          * the older, already mentioned, First Certificate Creative Writing CD-ROM
          (requires a freely available patch for Windows 2000+)

          I'll leave others to comment on how useful they find these products.

          See http://uk.cambridge.org/elt/cdrom for full details on these and other
          Cambridge ELT CD-ROM products.

          Andrew Harley
          Electronic Development Manager
          English Language Teaching & Dictionaries
          Cambridge University Press

          Direct line: (01223)325880

          http://uk.cambridge.org/elt/cdrom

          Cambridge Dictionaries Online - the web's favourite learner's dictionary
          http://dictionary.cambridge.org