self-study software

  • George Daniels
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
      Hi everyone

      I've been asked to find self-study software to install on computers in
      my school's Self-Access Centre. This is in a UK language school, so the
      students are of all levels and nationalities. Does anyone else have any
      suggestions for useful, tried-and-tested self-study software? I'm
      interested in pronunciation software, grammar, vocab, etc.

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      George Daniels

      General English Teacher, UK
      majdnem@...

    • Maria Jordano
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2003
        Hi all,

        I love Reward by Heinneman, and my student do not want other thing... However I think it is not an updated method nowadays and I suposse there will be other things to buy... Try visiting WIDA at www.wida.co.uk

        Kind regards,

        Mar�a

        Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
        Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
        14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130/ +34 607 510 651-

        TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

      • Geoff Taylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2003
          Hi George

          > I've been asked to find self-study software to install on computers in
          > my school's Self-Access Centre. This is in a UK language school, so the
          > students are of all levels and nationalities. Does anyone else have any
          > suggestions for useful, tried-and-tested self-study software? I'm
          > interested in pronunciation software, grammar, vocab, etc.

          Pre-authored software:
          Integrated lessons:
          - Reward series of CD-ROMs. Four levels (Elem, Pre-Int, Int, Upper Int).
          Like the course books, has a bit of everything: listening, grammar,
          vocabulary, pronunciation, reading, writing. Much better than the course
          books, which I don't like much at all: well staged, interactive,
          challenging. Includes high quality video lessons too, which students like.
          Good value (double CD of about 100 hours material for £45), though expensive
          to get class sets of all levels.
          Grammar:
          - Clarity's Tensebuster 2001, 5 levels (Elem - Adv). Networked version
          available. Very thorough, if not very exciting.
          Pron:
          - Try Sky Software (Don Friend)'s stuff. We have Phonemic Alphabet, one on
          Stress and Rhythm. Low production values, but pedagogically high quality.
          Relatively cheap site licences.
          Vocabulary:
          - Educational Software Products (Angus and Sandy Savory) do several fun
          programmes (apparently based on a common dictionary database): Crossword
          Challenge, Word Invaders (like space invaders), Beat the Clock (guess the
          word from definition before time runs out), Error Terror (similar to space
          invaders). Good value, authorable, relatively cheap. We got their whole
          catalogue!
          Exam software:
          - Educational Software Products (Angus and Sandy Savory) produce 3 Cambridge
          tutors (papers 1, 2 and 3), again quite reasonably priced.
          - FC Creative Writing CD-ROM is very stimulating, and quite reasonably
          priced.

          --
          Geoff Taylor
          gjtaylor@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
            You might want to look at GrammEx from the TELL Consortium based in at Hull
            Uni (at http://www.hull.ac.uk/cti/tell/). It's no-nonsense,
            read-the-explanation, click-and-bash software, but it is incredibly CHEAP,
            but perfectly good for the serious (higher level?) grammar-phile, and in our
            experience as well used as the fancier products like Tensebuster.

            For pronunciation, I was impressed by Sky Software's Stress & Rhythm and
            Word & Phrasal Stress (see http://www.skysoftwarehouse.com/programs.html)

            I'm not sure how well it would work for self-study, but you could try
            automatice exercise-generation software of the Wida Storyboard type: you
            would have to feed in the texts, the programme does the rest. Whether the
            students take to it is another matter. Again, a no-nonsense version of this
            kind of thing is Fun with Texts by Camsoft
            (http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/).

            Richard Davie
            ELTD, University of Strathclyde
            Tel: 0141 - 548 - 3065 (John Anderson campus) 0141 - 950 - 3620 (Jordanhill
            campus)

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2003
              At 12:55 04/06/2003 +0100, George Daniels wrote:
              >Hi everyone
              >
              >I've been asked to find self-study software to install on computers in
              >my school's Self-Access Centre. This is in a UK language school, so the
              >students are of all levels and nationalities. Does anyone else have any
              >suggestions for useful, tried-and-tested self-study software? I'm
              >interested in pronunciation software, grammar, vocab, etc.
              >
              >Thanks in advance for your help.
              >
              >George Daniels
              >
              >General English Teacher, UK
              >majdnem@...

              Apologies for the vested interests, but here are some highlights from the
              Cambridge collection:

              * the new (Cambridge) English Pronouncing Dictionary 16th edition, with for
              the first time a CD-ROM, for pronunciation reference and practice
              * the new Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary CD-ROM, especially
              perhaps the SmartThesaurus feature which should prove very useful both for
              self-study vocabulary expansion and for lesson preparation
              * Telephoning in English CD-ROM
              * the "bonus extra CD-ROM" with English and Essential Grammar in Use
              * our TOEFL preparation CD-ROM
              * New Interchange CD-ROMs (for American English)
              * English in Toby CD-ROMs (for young learners)
              * the older, already mentioned, First Certificate Creative Writing CD-ROM
              (requires a freely available patch for Windows 2000+)

              I'll leave others to comment on how useful they find these products.

              See http://uk.cambridge.org/elt/cdrom for full details on these and other
              Cambridge ELT CD-ROM products.

              Andrew Harley
              Electronic Development Manager
              English Language Teaching & Dictionaries
              Cambridge University Press

              Direct line: (01223)325880

              http://uk.cambridge.org/elt/cdrom

              Cambridge Dictionaries Online - the web's favourite learner's dictionary
              http://dictionary.cambridge.org