Re: Fw: [IATEFLComputer Sig] list of 1000 commonest words in gen English

  • isobel mahoney
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 5:39 AM
      Hello Phil

      I used to teach shorthand, and Pitman was way ahead of the game compared
      with the TESOL profession. There is a list of the 700 most common words,
      which forms about 2/3 of most business correspondence. There is also a list
      of the 2000 most common, compiled by Emily Smith (a bit shot in the
      shorthand business, who was head of secretarial studies at Canberra
      Technical College.

      I have an old copy, so if it's out of print I could get it copied for you.
      ISBN 0-273-36010-8. Are you going to Iatefl? I didn't go last year, but I
      plan to this year. If you're to be there I can bring this list with me.

      What are you doing in the uae? I thought you were in the Czech Republic. We
      have bought a tiny flat in the old town in Barcelona, and I now write opera
      reviews for an English paper there "Barcelona Business". I won't make my
      fortune, but it's very enjoyable.

      Best wishes

      Isobel