Fw: [IATEFLComputer Sig] list of 1000 commonest words in gen English

  • Phil Brabbs
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27 7:54 AM
      Hi Nik

      The 1000 words initiative was something that came down from on high at work
      and I signed up to because I thought it sounded interesting. I reckon the
      ss we're teaching know a good number of the 1000 words, but the idea is to
      give them at least a passive knowledge of the lot to improve their reading
      skills in particular. We aim to give the ss activities on a weekly basis,
      do plenty of recycling and also get them using a concordancer. The team is
      currently building up its own corpus, using a lot of teaching materials at
      around a 2000 word level so that should atually be able to make sense of the
      strings that the concerdancer spits out. We should have a better idea of
      its success by the summer.

      Phil
    • isobel mahoney
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
        Hello Phil

        I used to teach shorthand, and Pitman was way ahead of the game compared
        with the TESOL profession. There is a list of the 700 most common words,
        which forms about 2/3 of most business correspondence. There is also a list
        of the 2000 most common, compiled by Emily Smith (a bit shot in the
        shorthand business, who was head of secretarial studies at Canberra
        Technical College.

        I have an old copy, so if it's out of print I could get it copied for you.
        ISBN 0-273-36010-8. Are you going to Iatefl? I didn't go last year, but I
        plan to this year. If you're to be there I can bring this list with me.

        What are you doing in the uae? I thought you were in the Czech Republic. We
        have bought a tiny flat in the old town in Barcelona, and I now write opera
        reviews for an English paper there "Barcelona Business". I won't make my
        fortune, but it's very enjoyable.

        Best wishes

        Isobel