Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] list of 1000 commonest words in gen English

  • Ela Gajek
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2003
      I have used Rob Waring's lists, and found them the most useful. Start from
      this site:
      http://www1.harenet.ne.jp/~waring/vocab/wordlists/vocfreq.html

      Ela Gajek
      http://www.oeiizk.waw.pl/~egajek

      ----- > I wonder if anyone knows where to find a corpus-based list of the
      1000
      > commonest words in general English ?
      >
      > Phil Brabbs
      > Sharjah
      > UAE

      --------------r-e-k-l-a-m-a-----------------

      Tanie bilety lotnicze!
      http://samoloty.onet.pl
    • Phil Brabbs
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2003
        Dear All

        Thanks very much indeed for all your help with this word list. I reckon
        we've got what we need now.

        We're planning to break up the list into manageable chunks and then devise
        activities to introduce/practice/recycle them so that our first year ss can
        cover these 1000 words in a somewhat systematic way.

        Thanks again.

        Phil Brabbs
      • dk
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 24, 2003
          Although it sounds like a perfectly correct approach, I
          was surprised to see some research that it was not so
          effective. I have since replaced the research but
          perhaps someone else on the list has also heard of
          this?

          Dave Kees
          Guangzhou, China

          Thanks very much indeed for all your help with this
          word list. I reckon
          we've got what we need now.

          We're planning to break up the list into manageable
          chunks and then devise
          activities to introduce/practice/recycle them so that
          our first year ss can
          cover these 1000 words in a somewhat systematic way.

          Thanks again.

          Phil Brabbs

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Terms of Service.
        • Peachey Pape
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 25, 2003
            > Although it sounds like a perfectly correct approach, I
            > was surprised to see some research that it was not so
            > effective.
            May be some of you remember the Cobuild course which was based around this
            concept. If you don't, there is probably a good reason why. The course was
            very difficult to teach and the books pretty soon disappeared. To be fair
            I'm not so sure that the concept was the problem or the methodological
            approach within the course books. Perhaps they were just too revolutionary
            for their time.

            Nik Peachey
            > Although it sounds like a perfectly correct approach, I
            > was surprised to see some research that it was not so
            > effective. I have since replaced the research but
            > perhaps someone else on the list has also heard of
            > this?
            >
            > Dave Kees
            > Guangzhou, China

            ---