Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] list of 1000 commonest words in gen English

  • Ela Gajek
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2003
      I have used Rob Waring's lists, and found them the most useful. Start from
      this site:
      http://www1.harenet.ne.jp/~waring/vocab/wordlists/vocfreq.html

      Ela Gajek
      http://www.oeiizk.waw.pl/~egajek

      ----- > I wonder if anyone knows where to find a corpus-based list of the
      1000
      > commonest words in general English ?
      >
      > Phil Brabbs
      > Sharjah
      > UAE

      --------------r-e-k-l-a-m-a-----------------

      Tanie bilety lotnicze!
      http://samoloty.onet.pl
    • richard davie
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2003
        The following link would be what you're looking for, I think.

        http://jbauman.com/aboutgsl.html

        Richard DAVIE
        English Language Teaching Division
        University of Strathclyde
        John Anderson Campus: (0141) 548 4475 (general office: 3065)
        Jordanhill Campus: (0141) 950 3729 (general office: 3620)

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2003
          Dear All

          Thanks very much indeed for all your help with this word list. I reckon
          we've got what we need now.

          We're planning to break up the list into manageable chunks and then devise
          activities to introduce/practice/recycle them so that our first year ss can
          cover these 1000 words in a somewhat systematic way.

          Thanks again.

          Phil Brabbs
        • dk
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 24, 2003
            Although it sounds like a perfectly correct approach, I
            was surprised to see some research that it was not so
            effective. I have since replaced the research but
            perhaps someone else on the list has also heard of
            this?

            Dave Kees
            Guangzhou, China

            Thanks very much indeed for all your help with this
            word list. I reckon
            we've got what we need now.

            We're planning to break up the list into manageable
            chunks and then devise
            activities to introduce/practice/recycle them so that
            our first year ss can
            cover these 1000 words in a somewhat systematic way.

            Thanks again.

            Phil Brabbs

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Terms of Service.
          • Peachey Pape
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 25, 2003
              > Although it sounds like a perfectly correct approach, I
              > was surprised to see some research that it was not so
              > effective.
              May be some of you remember the Cobuild course which was based around this
              concept. If you don't, there is probably a good reason why. The course was
              very difficult to teach and the books pretty soon disappeared. To be fair
              I'm not so sure that the concept was the problem or the methodological
              approach within the course books. Perhaps they were just too revolutionary
              for their time.

              Nik Peachey
              > Although it sounds like a perfectly correct approach, I
              > was surprised to see some research that it was not so
              > effective. I have since replaced the research but
              > perhaps someone else on the list has also heard of
              > this?
              >
              > Dave Kees
              > Guangzhou, China

              ---