Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] Interesting article in the Guardian newspaper

  • james wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
      Hi, what follows are my thoughts probably not coherent but I hope they can be understood
      I think this article covers more than just the educational shifts we find ourselves engaged in these days but also social. As for CALL and any other computer mediated environment they are just a tools in achieving those shifts.
      The first thing I thought of after reading the piece was that "Yes, I think of my sons as little men rather than little boys". I am trying to take that short cut in their rearing so that I can achieve the obvious end (their adulthood) without having to experience much their infancy or teenhood.
      These shifts are affecting us in all areas of our lives be that school, work or home environments. We seem to be in a hurry to get to the inevitable i.e. achieve the results, instead of appreciating the innocence that leads to those results.
      I must admit I can't help feeling that much of this has to do with the capitalistic approach we are adopting towards life in general. it is consuming us in all aspects of our daily life.
      It would be nice to take a few steps back but the instruments of change won't let us.
      James Wilson
      Iscac
      coimbra portugal
      Robert O'Dowd <robert.odowd@...> wrote:This is an interesting article from today's Guardian newspaper, discussing
      the role of teachers in modern classrooms. It doesn`t use the term exactly,
      but I think it deals a lot with the 'guide on the side' idea which we hear
      so much about in relation to CALL. Maybe it is of interest to some of you:
      http://education.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4593861,00.html

      I'd be interested in hearing people's reactions to it on the list.
      best, Robert O'Dowd

      University of Essen
      Fachbereich 3 - Anglistik
      Universit�tsstr. 12