Interesting article in the Guardian newspaper

  • Robert O'Dowd
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2003
      This is an interesting article from today's Guardian newspaper, discussing
      the role of teachers in modern classrooms. It doesn`t use the term exactly,
      but I think it deals a lot with the 'guide on the side' idea which we hear
      so much about in relation to CALL. Maybe it is of interest to some of you:
      http://education.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4593861,00.html

      I'd be interested in hearing people's reactions to it on the list.
      best, Robert O'Dowd

      University of Essen
      Fachbereich 3 - Anglistik
      Universitätsstr. 12
      45141 Essen, Germany
      Tel: 49 201 183 3447
      http://www.uni-essen.de/odowd/
    • Clive Newton
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
        Is it an argument for the revival of PPP I ask myself? Or is language
        learning related to a different kind of knowledge all together?

        --On 29 January 2003 13:17 +0100 Robert O'Dowd <robert.odowd@...>
        wrote:

        > This is an interesting article from today's Guardian newspaper, discussing
        > the role of teachers in modern classrooms. It doesn`t use the term
        > exactly, but I think it deals a lot with the 'guide on the side' idea
        > which we hear so much about in relation to CALL. Maybe it is of interest
        > to some of you:
        > http://education.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4593861,00.html
        >
        > I'd be interested in hearing people's reactions to it on the list.
        > best, Robert O'Dowd
        >
        > University of Essen
        > Fachbereich 3 - Anglistik
        > Universitätsstr. 12
        > 45141 Essen, Germany
        > Tel: 49 201 183 3447
        > http://www.uni-essen.de/odowd/

        Clive Newton
        Applied English Language Studies Unit
        Modern Languages Building
        Chatham Street
        The University of Liverpool
        L69 7ZR
        Tel: ++44 (0)151 794 6737
      • Dennis Newson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
          I confess that my first reaction to the article was to note the author and think: "Heavens. Him."

          Dennis
        • james wilson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
            Hi, what follows are my thoughts probably not coherent but I hope they can be understood
            I think this article covers more than just the educational shifts we find ourselves engaged in these days but also social. As for CALL and any other computer mediated environment they are just a tools in achieving those shifts.
            The first thing I thought of after reading the piece was that "Yes, I think of my sons as little men rather than little boys". I am trying to take that short cut in their rearing so that I can achieve the obvious end (their adulthood) without having to experience much their infancy or teenhood.
            These shifts are affecting us in all areas of our lives be that school, work or home environments. We seem to be in a hurry to get to the inevitable i.e. achieve the results, instead of appreciating the innocence that leads to those results.
            I must admit I can't help feeling that much of this has to do with the capitalistic approach we are adopting towards life in general. it is consuming us in all aspects of our daily life.
            It would be nice to take a few steps back but the instruments of change won't let us.
            James Wilson
            Iscac
            coimbra portugal
            Robert O'Dowd <robert.odowd@...> wrote:This is an interesting article from today's Guardian newspaper, discussing
            the role of teachers in modern classrooms. It doesn`t use the term exactly,
            but I think it deals a lot with the 'guide on the side' idea which we hear
            so much about in relation to CALL. Maybe it is of interest to some of you:
            http://education.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4593861,00.html

            I'd be interested in hearing people's reactions to it on the list.
            best, Robert O'Dowd

            University of Essen
            Fachbereich 3 - Anglistik
            Universit�tsstr. 12