Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] CALL lab seating

  • robertson@mail.cpod.fr
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 6, 2000
      Tom Robb offered :

      >If anyone would like to see a photo of the room, I can post the URL.

      I, for one, would be interested in seeing what your layout looks like and
      I'm sure I'm not the only one. Would you mind posting the URL, Tom ?

      Cheers,

      Bruce

      ------------------------------
      Bruce Robertson
      Lycée Paul Cornu
      Lisieux, France
      robertson@...
    • Barry Daniel & Kate Threadgold
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 6, 2000
        U shape is also good for YL who tend to be unable to not touch/play with the
        keyboard unless they turn round - mind you adults aren't much better.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
          Sure, here are the URLs. I didn't put them on an HTML page. You will be viewing the JPEGs directly. Each is 64k.

          http://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/room31a.jpg
          http://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/room31b.jpg

          Cheers,
          --Tom

          At 8:57 PM +0200 00.7.6, robertson@... wrote:
          >Tom Robb offered :
          >
          > >If anyone would like to see a photo of the room, I can post the URL.
          >

          >I, for one, would be interested in seeing what your layout looks like and
          >I'm sure I'm not the only one. Would you mind posting the URL, Tom ?
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >Bruce
          >

          >------------------------------
          >Bruce Robertson
          >Lyc仔 Paul Cornu
          >Lisieux, France
          >robertson@...

          *Thomas N. Robb, Ph.D. <trobb@...-su.ac.jp>*
          *Prof., Dept. of English Work Tel: +81 75 705-1680*
          *Faculty of Foreign Languages Work Fax: +81 75 705-1684*
          *Kyoto Sangyo University Home Tel: +81 72 845-1874*
          *Kita-ku, Kyoto 603 Japan Home Fax: +81 72 844-7303*
          * http://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb *
          * Alternate Address: tom@... *
          ****This message printed on recyclable media*****
        • Bob Keim
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
            A complicating factor is the question of how best to display the teacher's
            monitor. It's usually very important for students to clearly see details on
            the screen when they're starting to learn new applications.

            I've found that having a screen that shows the teacher's monitor between
            each pair of students allows them to see the detail that they need; on the
            other hand, a projector image of the teacher's monitor at one end of the
            classroom is hard to see and hard to get the detail from.

            --
            Bob Keim
            <http://www2.gol.com/users/bobkeim/contents.html>
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
              At 4:53 PM +0900 00.7.7, Bob Keim wrote:
              >A complicating factor is the question of how best to display the teacher's
              >monitor. It's usually very important for students to clearly see details on
              >the screen when they're starting to learn new applications.
              >
              >I've found that having a screen that shows the teacher's monitor between
              >each pair of students allows them to see the detail that they need; on the
              >other hand, a projector image of the teacher's monitor at one end of the
              >classroom is hard to see and hard to get the detail from.

              I agree with Bob on this.

              Even with a clearly projected image, there will be students who can't see it properly. With a 'center monitor' they can put their noses right up to it if they need to. The lab in the photos that I posted in my previous message has center monitors just as bob mentions.

              Cheers,
              --Tom

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                At 04:16 PM 07/07/2000 +0900, Tom Robb wrote:
                >Sure, here are the URLs. I didn't put them on an HTML page. You will be
                viewing the JPEGs directly. Each is 64k.

                >http://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/room31a.jpg
                >http://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/room31b.jpg

                You shoudn't have done that, Tom. Now you've made us all jealous ! : )
                Thanks anyway.

                Bruce
                ------------------------------
                Bruce Robertson
                Lycée Paul Cornu
                Lisieux, France
                robertson@...
              • mallika mani
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                  Replying to BOB Keim,

                  there are Hardware options available by which a teacher can not only monitor
                  what all the Ss are doing at their individual desktops, but also her demos
                  are seen by them on their monitor. CLASS NET is one such option which
                  greatly reduces the need for a Projector and Screen. However a White board
                  is still a must in the IT LAB! Nothing can totally replace it. Hence I feel
                  seating must incorporate this.

                  MALLIKA MANI