email writing may help student's speaking skills

  • Mary Foley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2002
      I sent this email to Roisin's email address but got a message back
      saying the email address was incorrect so that's why i'm sending it to
      IATEFL's address.

      Hi Roisin,
      I read your email. I've never read anything that suggested what you say
      or even thought that this might be the case, i.e. that students can
      improve their speaking skills by the use of email. I would have thought
      that the processes used in the two skills i.e. writing (emails) and
      speaking are very different. I can't actually help you with your
      research although it's fascinating what you said in your email. I have
      classes but I suspect that the levels will be quite scattered in the
      class so it may not be suitable material for recording. I would be happy
      to record some classes if you like. I haven't actually started these
      classes and as yet haven't considered email as a component in class
      although I think emailing is a good motivator for students (e.g. penpal
      writing if one can manage to get it off the ground).
      Keep up the work and let us know how you're doing. I for one would be
      very interested to hear your progress (and results).
      Un saludo,
      mary foley
      mfvigo@...