26th Benkyoukai (Study Forum) Margaret Dyer "The Key To Building Proficient Language Speakers: K-12 Communication"

  • Keiko Schneider
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2002
      Dear fellow language professionals and techies,

      I apologize the duplication in advance. Please distribute widely.

      Info Page <http://www.sabotenweb.com/bookmarks/about/26thbenkyoukai.html>

      SenseiOnline presents 26th Benkyoukai (Study Forum)
      Margaret Dyer "The Key To Building Proficient Language Speakers: K-12
      Communication"

      September 24th (Tuesday), 2002 at 4pm PDT
      September 24th (Tuesday) 6pm CDT, 7pm EDT, 1pm Hawaii, 11pm GMT, 25th
      (Wednesday) 8am Japan, 9am Sydney, if this calculation is correct. To be
      sure, please go to
      <http://www.timezoneconverter.com/>

      How long?
      For about 50 minutes

      Whos is the invited speaker?
      Margaret Dyer

      1990 Bachelor of Arts (Rhodes College / Memphis, TN)
      1997 Master of Arts (University of Texas / Austin, TX), Japanese Teaching
      Credential.

      Experience of English Teacher, Japan Exchange and Teaching Program (1991-
      1994, Yamanashi High School, Yamanashi, Japan) and of Japanese Language
      Teacher (1996-2000, Washington High School, San Francisco, CA). From 2000
      She is a Japanese Curriculum Coordinator in Clarendon Elementary School
      (San Francisco, CA).

      Now she is coordinating their program, providing in-service training to
      Japanese teachers (K-12), working to articulate their Japanese curriculum
      in the district K-12, teaching lessons in Japanese, providing workshops
      for Japanese teachers in the Bay Area, consulting for Japanese programs
      in other states, presenting at state and national conferences for
      language teachers (including ACTFL, Stanford and San Francisco State
      University).

      Short description of the presentation

      ACTFL's Performance Guidelines for K-12 Learners clearly shows that our
      students should be able to reach the intermediate high/preadvanced level
      when they complete a "sustained sequence of Standards-based language
      instruction." Inherent in this statement is the necessity for teachers to
      communicate between levels and programs. Yet teachers already have so
      much on their plates creating their own curriculum and lessons, teaching
      students, correcting papers, not to mention the hours of additional
      school paperwork. How can we find time to communicate to build an
      articulated language program? In the benkyoukai on September 24, I will
      share our program model at Clarendon Elementary School Japanese Bilingual
      Bicultural Program and describe how the K-12 Japanese teachers of San
      Francisco Unified School District make time to communicate, to share and
      to create a sequential Japanese program from Kindergarten to 12th grade.

      What is going to happen?
      Margaret sensei's paper is at
      http://www.sabotenweb.com/bookmarks/about/building.html

      So read the paper above and go to TAPPED IN. There, you will be able to
      discuss this topic with Margaret sensei and others from around the world.
      TAPPED IN
      is open to everybody and the presentation will be done in English.

      Where?
      TAPPED IN is letting us use their space. Please go to
      <http://www.sabotenweb.com/bookmarks/about/26thbenkyoukai.html>
      for detailed Guest log in info. No sign up necessary. Please log in a
      few minutes early to get used to the environment or do practice before
      the actual session.

      If I can't attend? If I am too sleepy?
      The log of the event will be kept in After School Online Room at TAPPED
      IN and TAPPED IN members can retrieve it anytime. For non-members of
      TAPPED IN, please write to Keiko Schneider.

      Please send any question to the Manager of senseiOnline at
      <senseionline-owner@yahoogroups.com> I look forward to seeing you all!

      Sincerely yours,
      Keiko Schneider

      --