Research into Online Teacher Development

  • ppan74uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2002
      Dear folks,

      I am an EFL teacher educator currently completing an MSc in Computer-
      Based
      Learning and Training at Southampton University. The purpose of this
      e-mail
      is to request responses to the questionnaire below. The data
      collected will
      inform my dissertation.

      My research is into the professional development needs that newly
      qualified
      ESL teachers may have in their first few years of employment
      following a
      pre-service certificate, and which might be partially met online
      through
      provision of a web site managed by a teacher educator.

      It is my intention to design an effective online resource that will
      provide
      development opportunities at a distance for those who have few local
      opportunities. A trial version based on the questionnaire responses
      of a
      closed group of ex-CELTA trainees is already available at www.celt-
      ic.org.uk.

      It would very beneficial to get feedback from you on the trial
      version of
      this online resource, as well as informed opinions on the provision of
      professional development opportunities by distance/electronically.

      I would like to assure you that your name and contact details will be
      held
      in strict confidence. Analysis and discussion of the data will not
      reveal
      identities. When the dissertation is complete, the findings will be
      available at www.soton.ac.uk/~pta101/home.

      Many thanks!

      Peter Andrews

      P.S. If any teachers known to you might benefit from participating in
      www.celtic-org.uk , then I am very happy for them to use the site and
      join
      the associated mailing list.

      Questionnaire

      Name:

      E-mail:

      1. Briefly describe your experience as a teacher/teacher
      educator.
      2. If more time was available on pre-service certificate
      programmes, what
      else might you include?
      3. Do you make use of computers in teacher education? If so, in
      what ways?
      4. Are you aware of any existing Web-based resources for ESL
      teacher
      development? Please type the address(es) here.
      5. What is your opinion of the module choices on www.celt-
      ic.org.uk ?
      6. Can you suggest other content suitable for the first years of
      teacher's
      career?
      7. What are your impressions and opinions of the methodologies of
      www.celt-ic.org.uk ?
      8. Can you suggest other, perhaps more effective ways for new
      teachers to
      learn online and at a distance?
      9. What should the web site manager's roles be?
      10. How directed should professional development activities be
      for newly
      qualified teachers?
      11. How could the manager of the web site gradually encourage new
      teachers
      to become more reflective and autonomous?
      12. Any further comments?

      Thanks again!

      Peter Andrews ppan74uk@...
    • Tim Francis
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2002
        On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:34:59 -0000 ppan74uk <ppan74uk@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear folks,
        >
        > I am an EFL teacher educator currently completing an MSc in Computer-
        > Based
        > Learning and Training at Southampton University. The purpose of this
        > e-mail
        > is to request responses to the questionnaire below. The data
        > collected will
        > inform my dissertation.
        >
        > My research is into the professional development needs that newly
        > qualified
        > ESL teachers may have in their first few years of employment
        > following a
        > pre-service certificate, and which might be partially met online
        > through
        > provision of a web site managed by a teacher educator.
        >
        > It is my intention to design an effective online resource that will
        > provide
        > development opportunities at a distance for those who have few local
        > opportunities. A trial version based on the questionnaire responses
        > of a
        > closed group of ex-CELTA trainees is already available at www.celt-
        > ic.org.uk.
        >
        > It would very beneficial to get feedback from you on the trial
        > version of
        > this online resource, as well as informed opinions on the provision of
        > professional development opportunities by distance/electronically.
        >
        > I would like to assure you that your name and contact details will be
        > held
        > in strict confidence. Analysis and discussion of the data will not
        > reveal
        > identities. When the dissertation is complete, the findings will be
        > available at www.soton.ac.uk/~pta101/home.
        >
        > Many thanks!
        >
        > Peter Andrews
        >
        > P.S. If any teachers known to you might benefit from participating in
        > www.celtic-org.uk , then I am very happy for them to use the site and
        > join
        > the associated mailing list.
        >

        > Questionnaire
        >
        > Name: Tim Francis
        >
        > E-mail: mlstjf@....k
        >
        > 1. Briefly describe your experience as a teacher/teacher
        > educator.
        20 odd years - most recent mainly EAP, teacher training, computer
        interests, UK universities esp. Bath, overseas esp. China.
        > 2. If more time was available on pre-service certificate
        > programmes, what
        > else might you include?
        CALL/ICT doesn't get much of a look-in. I don't know if that reflects
        Cambridge CELTA and DELTA syllabuses, or our own interpretation of them.

        > 3. Do you make use of computers in teacher education? If so, in
        > what ways?
        Brief introductions to CALL within the university.

        > 4. Are you aware of any existing Web-based resources for ESL
        > teacher
        > development? Please type the address(es) here.
        > 5. What is your opinion of the module choices on www.celt-
        > ic.org.uk ?
        I'll have a look later. - not seen these before.
        > 6. Can you suggest other content suitable for the first years of
        > teacher's
        > career?
        > 7. What are your impressions and opinions of the methodologies of
        > www.celt-ic.org.uk ?
        > 8. Can you suggest other, perhaps more effective ways for new
        > teachers to
        > learn online and at a distance?
        > 9. What should the web site manager's roles be?
        > 10. How directed should professional development activities be
        > for newly
        > qualified teachers?
        > 11. How could the manager of the web site gradually encourage new
        > teachers
        > to become more reflective and autonomous?
        > 12. Any further comments?
        My own experience of CALL for teachers is fairly limited. I have done
        quite a lot of more general computer training with teachers, both
        formally in special one-off sessions, and (more) informally. This is
        what has most appeal, it seems: how to use things - PowerPoint, Excel
        Charts, Exercise Generator (for producing worksheets), Hot Potatoes etc.

        > Thanks again!
        >
        > Peter Andrews ppan74uk@...

        -------------------
        Tim Francis
        English Language Centre
        University of Bath
        BA2 7AY
        mlstjf@...
        tel: 01225-383139
        fax: 01225-383135

        * This e-mail message was sent with Execmail V5.1 *
      • Pierre Andre
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2002
          Dear Tim,
          Thanks a lot for taking the time to fill in the questionnaire. I appreciate it.
          Let me know if I can help you anytime.
          Cheers,
          Peter
          Tim Francis <mlstjf@...> wrote: On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:34:59 -0000 ppan74uk <ppan74uk@...>

          Tim Francis
          English Language Centre
          University of Bath
          BA2 7AY
          mlstjf@...
          tel: 01225-383139
          fax: 01225-383135

          * This e-mail message was sent with Execmail V5.1 *

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT