Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] UK based ISPs

  • Geoff Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2002
      Hi

      on 25/5/02 4:57 PM, Martin Eayrs at martin@... wrote:

      > I need an ISP that will support Mac platforms and allow server side
      > includes, cold fusion and support a fairly full range of scripts. I
      > also need to have a static IP and am shortly switching from ISDN to
      > cable.

      I did a search on http://www.hostsearch.com/ and
      http://www.hostsearchuk.com/ but couldn't find any Mac hosts that do
      ColdFusion.

      Is the server platform important?

      What about separating your dial up and your Web hosting service?

      If you do that, you can dial up with whoever you want, and using any ID -
      not just your domain name, but pay to have your site hosted on any server
      that fulfills your needs, e.g. in the USA - where there are a lot of
      Mac-based servers, and in general Webhosting services seem to be much more
      feature-laden, and cheaper - which you remotely access from your dial-up
      account?

      Although I don't use SSI or ColdFusion, I do use a Web hosting service in
      the USA, UltimateHost <http://www.ultimatehost.com>, which has some useful
      CGIs free to use and already installed, and I access it via my BTInternet
      Anytime account, £15.99, 12 hours a day unmetered access, or my FreeServe
      account, (free).

      I'm a Mac-based guy, too, as is the company whose site I manage on
      UltimateHost. The servers are Unix or Windows-based, I forget which, but
      that's not an obstacle for us, as they have a set of Web-based controls that
      are cross platform.

      Hope this may help.

      Best of luck!

      --
      Geoff Taylor
      CALL Coordinator, St Clare's, Oxford, UK