Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] UK based ISPs

  • Eric Baber
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2002
      Hi Martin,

      Seeing as you're about to switch to cable I can recommend Blueyonder. It's
      quite reliable; the only thing it won't do is give you a static IP address,
      though I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a provider who does (they are
      very reluctrant to give you a static IP address in order to stop you from
      running your own server). There are ways around that, though, depending on
      what you want the static IP address for.

      One thing to watch out for is BT, though I don't think they do cable (only
      DSL). A friend of mine got a BT ADSL line and is having all sorts of
      problems with the e-mail - BT won't let him use their outgoing mailserver
      with any e-mail address other than his BT one, and I see you're using your
      own domain-name for e-mails so you wouldn't be able to do that. As I say,
      though, I don't think BT does cable, just DSL.

      Good luck!

      Eric

      Eric Baber
      http://www.ericbaber.com