Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] Custom Dictionaries in Word

  • Yuri Kovalenko
    Message 1 of 9 , May 20 2:11 AM
      Hi!
      Martin Eayrs,
      Try this. It might be the one you're looking for:
      -------
      GRAMMAR SLAMMER 2.0--Slam your Grammar Agony with The Program that answers the
      questions the Grammar Checkers can't
      GRAMMAR SLAMMER answers those questions that the Grammar Checkers can't!
      GRAMMAR SLAMMER helps you in your writing and grammar the simplest way known to
      Windows® Word Processor users. Grammar Checkers are helpful, but they are
      limited. They miss things and often ask you questions you can't answer. ("Do
      you want a comma here?"--"How should I know?" you reply.) Disk-based grammar
      books can help, but they are cumbersome to use. GRAMMAR SLAMMER, on the other
      hand, supplements the Grammar Checker by providing answers in a format that you
      already know how to use--the Windows Help File! One click on a Word Processor
      Macro or the GRAMMAR SLAMMER toolbar and it pops up, ready to go! No office or
      computer which depends on word processors should be without it!
      You can also use GRAMMAR SLAMMER as an English grammar tutorial. With networked
      classes or computer projectors, it can be your class notes.
      http://englishplus.com/gsorder.htm

    • me@eltnewsandviews.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24 5:29 AM
        Thanks - I'll check this out ..

        Martin

        -------------------------------------
        Martin Eayrs, <me@...>
      • me@eltnewsandviews.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24 5:32 AM
          Sorry for delay in replying - I was away.

          This sounds absolutely right - would you be willing for
          me to try this out ?

          Martin Eayrs

          >I wrote a small Word macro which does this kind of thing some time ago. It's
          >a fairly simple process that allows 5 levels of words and colour codes those
          >missing.
          >
          >Is this the kind of thing that would work here?
          >

          >****************************
          >Sean Sutton
          >Communications Manager
          >Phoenix English Language Academy
          >ssutton@...
          >www.phoenixela.com.au
          >
          >****************************

          -------------------------------------
          Martin Eayrs, <me@...>
        • ME
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 7, 2000
            Cookies and network servers

            Does any one know how university servers handle cookies ? I want to
            set a cookie defined for one year access so that anyone on a
            university network can log on to a website without having to
            distribute a password to every user and without the user having to
            type in the password each time.

            This means in practice that I can go to a university terminal and log
            on to a site with the password - the site sets a cookie for a
            specified duration - and then I log off and go home. After that any
            user can log on from any terminal on the network and log on to the
            site without needing or knowing the password because the cookie is
            active. This gives universal access to university users and no access
            to any one else. Similarly university users can not access the site
            off campus because they don't have the password. When the cookie
            expires I can go back and repeat the process or not.

            The reason for this would be to allow online subscription to a web
            site for an English language teaching magazine I am involved with. I
            am really stuck with this password business. One solution is IP
            access, which universities are happy to use but my employers are
            unhappy about implementing. The other is to circulate passwords
            around all over the place which is very open to abuse and potentially
            likely to defeat the purpose of passwording the site.

            University servers seem to run a temporary cache for each user who
            logs on but in my experience although bookmarks can be stored in
            personal folders all cache and cookie settings are wiped from memory
            every twenty-four hours. This is perhaps because during the day each
            machine may have fifty or sixty users, maybe more, many of whom
            simply check email or surf for fun, accumulating countless cookies as
            they do so.

            This means that a user rarely if ever logs on again at the same work
            station, there being hundreds around the campus. If you log on on one
            terminal and ten minutes later log on again with another the cookie
            is not set for the new machine. I have tried this.

            So it seems I can set a cookie with a long shelf life but that cookie
            is trashed daily and has to be reset on each terminal every day,
            which is not really getting me where I want to be. Any advice would
            be very welcome.

            Thanks and sorry for long posting

            Martin Eayrs
            Wivenhoe, UK