Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] How do you make a chat room?

  • Eric Baber
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
      Hi Clive,

      > What is the easiest way to make a chat room and how do you integrate it
      > into a website?

      The easiest way is to sign up with one of the free providers. Their site
      then generates the necessary HTML you need, you insert that into one of the
      pages of your site, and that's it.

      Two good (free) 'uns are http://www.multicity.com and
      http://www.parachat.com .

      Hope that helps!

      Eric

      Eric Baber
      London, England
      http://www.ericbaber.com
    • Tom Walton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
        Hi Eric,

        Could you use NetMeeting instead?

        Tom Walton
        Barcelona, Spain

        > > What is the easiest way to make a chat room and how do you integrate it
        > > into a website?
        >
        > The easiest way is to sign up with one of the free providers. Their site
        > then generates the necessary HTML you need, you insert that into one of
        the
        > pages of your site, and that's it.
        >
        > Two good (free) 'uns are http://www.multicity.com and
        > http://www.parachat.com .
        >
        > Hope that helps!
        >
        > Eric
        >

        > Eric Baber
        > London, England
        > http://www.ericbaber.com

      • Eric Baber
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
          Hi Tom,

          > Could you use NetMeeting instead?

          Completely depends on what you're trying to achieve - how many people you
          want to have chatting, how "tech-savvy" they are, what operating system
          they're using etc. In general, text-chat is probably the simplest form of
          online synchronous communication, and the one that most people find easiest
          to use. In my opinion NetMeeting is a more powerful tool with more options
          available but it is therefore also slightly more complicated to use. But
          yes, NetMeeting is also one option for synchronous online communication.

          Best regards

          Eric

          Eric Baber
          London, England
          http://www.ericbaber.com
        • Clive Newton
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
            Dear Tom

            How would Netmeeting work?

            Clive

            --On 05 July 2001 18:18 +0200 Tom Walton <twalton@...> wrote:

            > Hi Eric,
            >
            > Could you use NetMeeting instead?
            >
            > Tom Walton
            > Barcelona, Spain

          • Eric Baber
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
              Dear Clive,

              > How would Netmeeting work?

              In order to approach NetMeeting, do not approach it in your mind thinking
              it's similar to a chat-room - it's not. Web-based chat-rooms are always on a
              particular webpage, whether there is anyone in them or not. This is not the
              case with NetMeeting: it is not a chat-room which is open 24 hours a day.
              Instead, NetMeeting is a communications tool which in some ways is like the
              telephone.

              If you have NetMeeting installed on your computer (you can download it for
              free from http://www.netmeeting.co.uk or
              http://www.microsoft.com/windows/netmeeting ), you can use it to call
              another person who also has NetMeeting installed on his/her computer, and is
              online and has it running at the time you are trying to call them. Once you
              have called them and they have accepted your call you can talk to them by
              voice (so you and the other person need a headset or speaker/microphone
              combination), can see each other depending on which of you have a webcam
              (optional), text-chat with one another, share a whiteboard together and
              more. So, again, it's like a telephone in that you need to know who you're
              calling - you don't use NetMeeting to log onto a permanent room on the net
              somewhere to see if there's anyone else hanging around at the time, but use
              it to call people you know, usually at a pre-arranged time.

              You can use NetMeeting with multiple people at the same time - for example,
              if you want to have a chat with 8 people, those 8 could call you and you
              would thereby establish a group meeting. Please note that on its own
              NetMeeting does NOT support group audio and video; you can all text-chat
              together and use the other tools, but you can't all speak to or hear each
              other. It is possible to set that up, but it's not an inherent function
              within NetMeeting.

              Best regards

              Eric

              Eric Baber
              London, England
              http://www.ericbaber.com
            • Eric Baber
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
                P.S. - Clive, you've seen me demonstrate NetMeeting before, anyway - at the
                London Language Show, remember?

                Eric

                > Dear Tom
                >
                > How would Netmeeting work?
                >
                > Clive
              • Azmi Abdul Latiff
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
                  Dear Clive,
                  Have you downloaded and tried the MSN Messenger? There's a netmeeting
                  service there.

                  Azmi
                  MALAYSIA

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 8, 2001
                    Yes I have Eric - and thanks for the NET based chat downloads. They are
                    really useful.

                    Clive

                    --On 06 July 2001 16:13 +0100 Eric Baber <Eric@...> wrote:

                    > P.S. - Clive, you've seen me demonstrate NetMeeting before, anyway - at
                    > the London Language Show, remember?
                    >
                    > Eric
                    >

                    >> Dear Tom
                    >>
                    >> How would Netmeeting work?
                    >>
                    >> Clive

                  • Eric Baber
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 8, 2001
                      Dear Azmi,

                      > Dear Clive,
                      > Have you downloaded and tried the MSN Messenger? There's a netmeeting
                      > service there.

                      The MSN Messenger and NetMeeting are two seperate programs. Because they're
                      both Microsoft programs they interact to some extent, so, for instance, you
                      can use the Messenger to start NetMeeting calls with another person; they're
                      still two different programs, though, and in order to do that you need to
                      have both programs installed. (For anyone interested, Microsoft is about to
                      release a new program which will be called the Windows Messenger which will
                      be a combination of the MSN Messenger and NetMeeting, and which will replace
                      those two).

                      Eric

                      Eric Baber
                      London, England