LT SIG Flipped Classroom Event – Oxford 26th October 2013

  • ltsig01
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2013
      IATEFL Learning Technologies SIG has a new event in Oxford. Book your place now at https://secure.iatefl.org/events/step1.php?event_id=70

      Closing date for online bookings: 20 October
      Earlybird date: 8 September

      Information about the event

      The LT SIG Flipped Classroom Event – Oxford 26th October 2013

      Venue: Bellerbys College, Trajan House
Mill Street
      See Map

      For information on staying in Oxford click here or here

      09.15 - 9.30 Welcome
      9.30 - 10.30 Opening Plenary – Stephen Bax
      Normalisation and the Flipped Classroom in language teaching

      The 'flipped classroom' is an idea gaining currency in some parts of the
      world, but how can it work in language teaching? This talk evaluates the
      idea of a flipped classroom against a set of criteria for effective
      language learning in order to consider how this approach might be useful
      or otherwise to language teachers and learners. It then considers how
      likely this approach is to become a 'normalised' part of our
      professional activity in the coming years, in whole or in part, and how
      we might effectively borrow or adapt some elements of it to the benefit
      of some learners in some settings.

      10.35 - 11.20 Plenary – Steve Baulkin
      The Flipped Classroom - From theory to practice in ELT
      Since Bergman and Sam's initial outlining of the Flipped Classroom in 2007 there has been much discussion in general education as to its efficacy. Essentially, early proponents of Flipped teaching (the Khan Academy et al) propose an inversion of traditional teaching methods, delivering instruction online (usually by video) and moving 'homework' into the classroom.
      There are two rationales given for this approach. Firstly, the poor learning outcomes and limited engagement symptomatic of the traditional one-size-fits-all model (often referred to by theorists as the Industrial Age model). Secondly, the prevalence of online video and increasing student access to technology, allowing teachers to make and distribute learning materials with incredible ease.
      The aim of this talk is to examine claims made by those championing flipped teaching in the context of ELT. Using observations gathered from some action research carried out in a UK private language school, the issues of increased 'higher-level' understanding and heightened student engagement will be evaluated.
      In addition, the action research looked at the most effective methods for delivering 'flipped' lessons. Reference will be made to the presenter's experimentation with using different applications for screencasting and online instruction using the iPad, IWB software and the new tools offered by TED-Ed to offer customised lessons. By the end of the talk, participants should have a good understanding of the concept of the Flipped Classroom and its implementation in an ELT context.

      11.20 – 12.00 Coffee Break

      12.00 - 12.45 Plenary - Barbara Gardner
      A flipped learning project
      My background is in English Language Teaching and Teacher Training. I currently work in Study Group, supporting the training of teachers of English Language, English for Academic Purposes and subject teachers. Our teachers are based in Bellerbys Colleges and on university campuses in International Study Centres. I coordinate a group of Advanced Practitioners who work as teachers and trainers amongst their colleagues. We focus on the use of learning technologies to enhance teaching and learning and use a Moodle platform to share materials for both teaching, training and CPD; our Flipped Learning action research project has been helpfully documented in a Moodle course. Moodle played an important role in sharing findings and ideas as the teachers were scattered across different locations in the UK
      I will talk about how we set up the project, collected feedback from two cycles of action research, what we learned and how we are growing the project. We learned a lot about setting up and supporting Flipped Learning for students studying in English and about tools that served our purposes. Overall it was a great success and we are very enthusiastic about Flipping!

      12.45 – 14.00 Lunch (provided)

      14.00 - 14.45 Concurrent sessions

      14.55 - 15.40 Concurrent sessions

      15.30 – 16.00 Coffee Break

      16.00 - 16.45 Concurrent sessions

      17.00 – 18.00 Panel Discussion sponsored by Oxford University Press

      18.00 - 19.00 Post conference reception sponsored by Oxford University Press