Mobile research on English in the Workplace

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2013
      Hi all

      I'm writing a research paper for TIRF - the International Research
      Foundation for English Language Education http://www.tirfonline.org/
      <http://www.tirfonline.org/> on aspects of mobile and English for work.
      The paper will be based on case studies and will be publically available
      from October / November this year.

      As such I'm looking to interview teachers about their business English /
      ESP classroom experience through a combination of skype and structured
      email interview. See below

      The main research question is

      Is there evidence for differential benefits between mobile devices used
      for self-access learning as opposed to language learning in the
      classroom with the teacher?

      People may also have opinions or reflections on the other following
      questions

      * What language skills can be enhanced through mobile learning and
      how does the learner-technology interaction support that development?
      More specifically, is there a different impact of mobile learning on the
      productive skills (speaking and writing) and the receptive skills
      (reading and listening)?
      *
      Is there evidence for differential benefits between in-class and
      out-of-class use?
      And between mobile and tablet implementation.

      *
      What benefits does mobile learning (with its "anytime, anyplace
      benefit") offer to
      people learning English for the workplace? Does it help time-constrained
      workers
      learn English better/faster/more sustainably, and if so, how?

      Don't worry - no-one needs to have 'proof' of this working well. It is a
      question of a reflective interview regarding a class or course which you
      feel went well or throws light on some of these issues. Hopefully,
      lessons and common factors will emerge especially when comparing with
      other case studies.

      I would be asking questions around

      * impact on learner engagement
      * particular skills and language areas which are most suitable for
      self-access learning and
      * which types of device best facilitate that.

      You can contact me by replying to this message or emailing me paul at
      eduworlds.co.uk

      thanks in advance

      Paul

    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2013
        Paul, have not relevant experience to help but like to contact you re
        possible online presentation 4 one of my liss. Greetings. Osna dennis