Re: Switching from laptop to tablet �

  • ElizabethA
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 16, 2013
      Hi all,
      I was very pleased to see this discussion since I'm still fighting with my ipad.
      I did actually get an apple TV in the hope of using AIRPLAY in the classroom, and discovered that since I only have the right to one connection to the wi-fi at work, I can't yet use it :-(

      As for moving between windows, I was pleased to discover the double click and be able to pick up the second window as I had left it on the "apps open" bar which shows up on the double click.

      I'm still finding it difficult to get into the "apple mentality" and will definitely be hanging around if people start any ipad "show and tells" in Liverpool :-))
      amitiés
      Elizabeth (Anne)

      --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Taylor <gjtaylor@...> wrote:

      > Hi Martin
      >
      > I wouldn't want to switch completely to my iPad.
      >
      > The primary reason is that Mac OS X allows me to switch easily between windows of different applications, and even to have them open side by side, but iOS only shows a single window of an app open at one time. Cycling between open apps on my MacBook Pro is easy with Command + TAB, but on my iPad I seem to have to use a 4-finger swipe motion. If I'm working in a web browser and a word editor, making a worksheet with some text and images taken from the web browser, it's much more convenient on my notebook computer (MacBook Pro). On my notebook, I can easily copy and paste images between apps, or drag them from one window to another, but on my iPad, I need to save images first to the Camera Roll - not difficult to do, but again, requiring more steps, and clunkier.
      >
      > If I am just writing a long text within a single app, or creating a presentation in Keynote without need for many images that I don't already have in my camera roll or photo stream, then the iPad is fine. With long texts, a physical keyboard allows you to work at speed. I have Apple's little Wireless Keyboard, which works great, and I have recently bought an Incase Origami Workstation (�20) which acts as a protective case for the Apple Wireless Keyboard and folds into a stand for the iPad (with velcro tabs) and works fine with Apple's smart cover and the protective back case I got for my iPad.
      >
      > Apologies for belabouring once again the small but key aspect of presenting with an iPad: I normally create Keynote presentations on my Mac, then use Dropbox to transfer them to my iPad, because presenting with Keynote on the iPad easily allows me to see the current screen and the up-coming screen side by side (only on the iPad, not on the display screen), a real life-saver, whereas I've never taken the time to work out how do this on my Mac.
      >
      > Geoff Taylor
      > St Clare's, Oxford

    • Chris Baldwin
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 18, 2013
        Dear all

        Apologies for cross posting, as they say 😊

        I am looking for teachers who are going to IATEFL Liverpool and who would be willing to be interviewed on video for use in a new teacher training course I'm working on - 'Learning Technologies for the Classroom'. The idea is to have short interviews outlining how you use tech in the classroom. I have some specific questions/prompts as well.

        If you are interested, please drop me a line.

        Even if you aren't going but would like to be involved, let me know - we could do it online.

        Best

        Chris

      • Rita
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 18, 2013
          Hi, Chris,

          I'm an EFL teacher in Argentina, have been integrating ICT into my classes for many years. I would be happy to participate, though I won't be travelling to Liverpool, but to Glasgow for the WorldCALL 2013 Conference.

          You can contact me off list, cheers!
          Rita
          www.zeinstejer.com
          http://ticsenelaula.ning.com/

          --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, Chris Baldwin <chris.let@...> wrote:

          > Dear all
          >
          > Apologies for cross posting, as they say 😊
          >
          > I am looking for teachers who are going to IATEFL Liverpool and who would be willing to be interviewed on video for use in a new teacher training course I'm working on - 'Learning Technologies for the Classroom'. The idea is to have short interviews outlining how you use tech in the classroom. I have some specific questions/prompts as well.
          >
          > If you are interested, please drop me a line.
          >
          > Even if you aren't going but would like to be involved, let me know - we could do it online.
          >
          > Best
          >
          > Chris

        • David Read
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 18, 2013
            hi Chris,

            I'll be at Liverpool and would be happy to be interviewed.

            David Read

            On 18 March 2013 07:38, Chris Baldwin <chris.let@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Dear all
            >
            > Apologies for cross posting, as they say 😊
            >
            > I am looking for teachers who are going to IATEFL Liverpool and who would
            > be willing to be interviewed on video for use in a new teacher training
            > course I'm working on - 'Learning Technologies for the Classroom'. The idea
            > is to have short interviews outlining how you use tech in the classroom. I
            > have some specific questions/prompts as well.
            >
            > If you are interested, please drop me a line.
            >
            > Even if you aren't going but would like to be involved, let me know - we
            > could do it online.
            >
            > Best
            >
            > Chris

          • Natalya
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 18, 2013
              Hello Chris--

              I think it's an interesting suggestion. I am going to be in Liverpool and would like to contribute to this project. Is there some more detailed description of what is it necessary to be prepared for? What is the interview's planned length? Are you going to provide a schedule? What days of the conference you are planning to have people interviewed?

              Best,

              Natalya Eydelman