LT SIG Webinar Sunday 17 March 15h GMT: From Mobile to Learning with Carla Arena

  • Nicky
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
      Our next LT SIG webinar takes place this Sunday 17 March at 15h GMT, with Carla Arena talking about how learning with mobile devices is implemented at her school. The title of her webinar is 'Rethinking the language classroom – from mobile to learning'.

      You'll find more information about the webinar, including a link to the webinar room (which will become live 30 min before we are due to start) on the LT SIG website here:

      http://ltsig.org.uk/events/13-future-events/265-17313-webinar-rethinking-the-language-classroom.html

      You can check the exact time of Sunday's webinar in your country here:
      http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130317T15&p1=136&ah=1

      The webinar is open to members and non-members of the SIG, so please feel free to spread the word, and to invite colleagues and friends! We look forward to seeing you in the webinar on Sunday,

      Nicky Hockly
      LT SIG Online Events Coordinator
    • Martin Eayrs
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
        Hi, Guys

        Here's a question for anyone with the right experience. I'm interested in how people have managed to switch COMPLETELY from using a laptop (or desk top even) to a tablet, ideally an iPad, and cloud/drop box storage.

        I'm interested in this mainly from the work angle, using productivity apps (wp, spreadsheet, data base, etc) and handling sound and image/video processing.

        Is it possible to live with only a tablet, i.e. are there things that either a tablet can't do or are very fiddly and frustrating to do?

        Anyone like to comment?

        Martin

        ______________
        Martin Eayrs
        martin@...

        Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

      • Caroline Moore
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
          Martin

          That's a timely question for me, as I've just come to Poland for a couple of days to work with a client and decided to leave my laptop behind, and rely on my iPad. Things started well, I revised my presentation on the plane, created a Mind Map using iThoughts, then gave the presentation using Keynote and hooked the iPad to the data projector, while sharing the presentation afterwards using Dropbox. Email on the move is also fine. My client has guest wifi, though not all companies provide this.

          But I need to work on a report, and find that just too difficult on a virtual keyboard, so I gave up and borrowed a laptop. Only problem is that the user interface on the laptop is in Polish. I think I may bring the laptop next time (-;

          Caroline

          Caroline Moore
          caroline_moore@...

          On 13 Mar 2013, at 10:02, Martin Eayrs <martin@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Guys
          >
          > Here's a question for anyone with the right experience. I'm interested in how people have managed to switch COMPLETELY from using a laptop (or desk top even) to a tablet, ideally an iPad, and cloud/drop box storage.
          >
          > I'm interested in this mainly from the work angle, using productivity apps (wp, spreadsheet, data base, etc) and handling sound and image/video processing.
          >
          > Is it possible to live with only a tablet, i.e. are there things that either a tablet can't do or are very fiddly and frustrating to do?
          >
          > Anyone like to comment?
          >
          > Martin

        • i2ienglish
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
            Martin,I did intentionally and temporarily limit myself to one iPad on
            a trip to Europe last year as a way of forced adaption - really to get
            used to using the keyboard.iWorks worked OK - audio was not used but
            could have been - movies and pictures I would not do on a tablet -
            laptop, desktop yes - I think it is a question of what is available,
            eg.from July I am doing a remote trip and will take an iPad for
            navigation plus a MBA and MBPro for making movies - horse for
            courses.Cheers,Peter

            Here's a question for anyone with the right experience. I'm
            interested in how people have managed to switch COMPLETELY from using
            a laptop (or desk top even) to a tablet, ideally an iPad, and
            cloud/drop box storage.

            I'm interested in this mainly from the work angle, using productivity
            apps (wp, spreadsheet, data base, etc) and handling sound and
            image/video processing

            Is it possible to live with only a tablet, i.e. are there things that
            either a tablet can't do or are very fiddly and frustrating to do?

            Anyone like to comment?

            Martin

            -------------------------
            Email sent using Optus Webmail

            Links:
            ------
            [1] mailto:martin%40eayrs.com
            [2]
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LearningTechnologiesSIG/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJvaWVpaG03BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMjEyMgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMzcwNzkEbXNnSWQDMzE3MwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzNjMxODU3OTY-?act=reply&messageNum=3173
            [3]
            mailto:martin@...?subject=Re%3A%20Switching%20from%20laptop%20to%20tablet%20%85
            [4]
            mailto:LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Switching%20from%20laptop%20to%20tablet%20%85
            [5]
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LearningTechnologiesSIG/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbm9mbmQ4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMjEyMgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMzcwNzkEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzYzMTg1Nzk2
            [6]
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LearningTechnologiesSIG/message/3172;_ylc=X3oDMTMzdWhhMmNtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMjEyMgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMzcwNzkEbXNnSWQDMzE3MwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNjMxODU3OTYEdHBjSWQDMzE3Mg--
            [7]
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LearningTechnologiesSIG/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbmFpcmg0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMjEyMgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMzcwNzkEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdm1icnMEc3RpbWUDMTM2MzE4NTc5Ng--?o=6
            [8]
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LearningTechnologiesSIG;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMzg1MGpiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMjEyMgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMzcwNzkEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMzYzMTg1Nzk2
            [9]
            http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJjOG5ocDZhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMjEyMgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMzcwNzkEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZ2ZwBHN0aW1lAzEzNjMxODU3OTY-
            [10]
            mailto:LearningTechnologiesSIG-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional
            [11]
            mailto:LearningTechnologiesSIG-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest
            [12]
            mailto:LearningTechnologiesSIG-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe
            [13] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            [14]
            mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20redesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1

          • Matt Davidson
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
              CloudOn can allow wp for MS Office programs and Notability exports in multiple formats. Both will really help you switch to iPad only.
              Matt

              Sent from my iPad

              On 13 Mar 2013, at 15:28, Caroline Moore <caroline_moore@...> wrote:

              > Martin
              >
              > That's a timely question for me, as I've just come to Poland for a couple of days to work with a client and decided to leave my laptop behind, and rely on my iPad. Things started well, I revised my presentation on the plane, created a Mind Map using iThoughts, then gave the presentation using Keynote and hooked the iPad to the data projector, while sharing the presentation afterwards using Dropbox. Email on the move is also fine. My client has guest wifi, though not all companies provide this.
              >
              > But I need to work on a report, and find that just too difficult on a virtual keyboard, so I gave up and borrowed a laptop. Only problem is that the user interface on the laptop is in Polish. I think I may bring the laptop next time (-;
              >
              > Caroline
              >
              > Caroline Moore
              > caroline_moore@...
              >
              > On 13 Mar 2013, at 10:02, Martin Eayrs <martin@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hi, Guys
              > >
              > > Here's a question for anyone with the right experience. I'm interested in how people have managed to switch COMPLETELY from using a laptop (or desk top even) to a tablet, ideally an iPad, and cloud/drop box storage.
              > >
              > > I'm interested in this mainly from the work angle, using productivity apps (wp, spreadsheet, data base, etc) and handling sound and image/video processing.
              > >
              > > Is it possible to live with only a tablet, i.e. are there things that either a tablet can't do or are very fiddly and frustrating to do?
              > >
              > > Anyone like to comment?
              > >
              > > Martin

            • NORMA BREWER
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
                Dear  CarolineNice to see your comment here.Remember the old Mueseli days- and your visit to Waltham Forest College about 20 yearrs ago?Things have changed so much since then!Yours|Norma
                Norma Brewernlbrewer@...

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 14, 2013
                  - Comments about the keyboard are very important - you don't want to waste hours typing.
                  - Once you add a decent keyboard, some tablet advantages disappear (though it could be the keyboard stays in a hotel room).
                  - Agreed about issues with software - GoogleDocs ain't all that! I use Android, and am not very happy with Word Processing and Spreadsheet options within. iPad may be better with those apps.
                  - Where no wifi, you can't plug in to the LAN.
                  - Connecting to larger displays is not always so easy either - probably need an adapter.

                  The tablet is handy for following stuff, but give me a netbook if I need to create!

                  Rob Dickey
                  in Super-wifi South Korea
                  (and probably suffering withdrawal next week at the TESOL Convention in Dallas Texas)
                • Geoff Taylor
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 15, 2013
                    Hi Martin

                    I wouldn't want to switch completely to my iPad.

                    The primary reason is that Mac OS X allows me to switch easily between windows of different applications, and even to have them open side by side, but iOS only shows a single window of an app open at one time. Cycling between open apps on my MacBook Pro is easy with Command + TAB, but on my iPad I seem to have to use a 4-finger swipe motion. If I'm working in a web browser and a word editor, making a worksheet with some text and images taken from the web browser, it's much more convenient on my notebook computer (MacBook Pro). On my notebook, I can easily copy and paste images between apps, or drag them from one window to another, but on my iPad, I need to save images first to the Camera Roll - not difficult to do, but again, requiring more steps, and clunkier.

                    If I am just writing a long text within a single app, or creating a presentation in Keynote without need for many images that I don't already have in my camera roll or photo stream, then the iPad is fine. With long texts, a physical keyboard allows you to work at speed. I have Apple's little Wireless Keyboard, which works great, and I have recently bought an Incase Origami Workstation (£20) which acts as a protective case for the Apple Wireless Keyboard and folds into a stand for the iPad (with velcro tabs) and works fine with Apple's smart cover and the protective back case I got for my iPad.

                    Apologies for belabouring once again the small but key aspect of presenting with an iPad: I normally create Keynote presentations on my Mac, then use Dropbox to transfer them to my iPad, because presenting with Keynote on the iPad easily allows me to see the current screen and the up-coming screen side by side (only on the iPad, not on the display screen), a real life-saver, whereas I've never taken the time to work out how do this on my Mac.

                    Geoff Taylor
                    St Clare's, Oxford
                  • ElizabethA
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 16, 2013
                      Hi all,
                      I was very pleased to see this discussion since I'm still fighting with my ipad.
                      I did actually get an apple TV in the hope of using AIRPLAY in the classroom, and discovered that since I only have the right to one connection to the wi-fi at work, I can't yet use it :-(

                      As for moving between windows, I was pleased to discover the double click and be able to pick up the second window as I had left it on the "apps open" bar which shows up on the double click.

                      I'm still finding it difficult to get into the "apple mentality" and will definitely be hanging around if people start any ipad "show and tells" in Liverpool :-))
                      amitiés
                      Elizabeth (Anne)

                      --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Taylor <gjtaylor@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Martin
                      >
                      > I wouldn't want to switch completely to my iPad.
                      >
                      > The primary reason is that Mac OS X allows me to switch easily between windows of different applications, and even to have them open side by side, but iOS only shows a single window of an app open at one time. Cycling between open apps on my MacBook Pro is easy with Command + TAB, but on my iPad I seem to have to use a 4-finger swipe motion. If I'm working in a web browser and a word editor, making a worksheet with some text and images taken from the web browser, it's much more convenient on my notebook computer (MacBook Pro). On my notebook, I can easily copy and paste images between apps, or drag them from one window to another, but on my iPad, I need to save images first to the Camera Roll - not difficult to do, but again, requiring more steps, and clunkier.
                      >
                      > If I am just writing a long text within a single app, or creating a presentation in Keynote without need for many images that I don't already have in my camera roll or photo stream, then the iPad is fine. With long texts, a physical keyboard allows you to work at speed. I have Apple's little Wireless Keyboard, which works great, and I have recently bought an Incase Origami Workstation (�20) which acts as a protective case for the Apple Wireless Keyboard and folds into a stand for the iPad (with velcro tabs) and works fine with Apple's smart cover and the protective back case I got for my iPad.
                      >
                      > Apologies for belabouring once again the small but key aspect of presenting with an iPad: I normally create Keynote presentations on my Mac, then use Dropbox to transfer them to my iPad, because presenting with Keynote on the iPad easily allows me to see the current screen and the up-coming screen side by side (only on the iPad, not on the display screen), a real life-saver, whereas I've never taken the time to work out how do this on my Mac.
                      >
                      > Geoff Taylor
                      > St Clare's, Oxford

                    • Chris Baldwin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 18, 2013
                        Dear all

                        Apologies for cross posting, as they say 😊

                        I am looking for teachers who are going to IATEFL Liverpool and who would be willing to be interviewed on video for use in a new teacher training course I'm working on - 'Learning Technologies for the Classroom'. The idea is to have short interviews outlining how you use tech in the classroom. I have some specific questions/prompts as well.

                        If you are interested, please drop me a line.

                        Even if you aren't going but would like to be involved, let me know - we could do it online.

                        Best

                        Chris

                      • Rita
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 18, 2013
                          Hi, Chris,

                          I'm an EFL teacher in Argentina, have been integrating ICT into my classes for many years. I would be happy to participate, though I won't be travelling to Liverpool, but to Glasgow for the WorldCALL 2013 Conference.

                          You can contact me off list, cheers!
                          Rita
                          www.zeinstejer.com
                          http://ticsenelaula.ning.com/

                          --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, Chris Baldwin <chris.let@...> wrote:

                          > Dear all
                          >
                          > Apologies for cross posting, as they say 😊
                          >
                          > I am looking for teachers who are going to IATEFL Liverpool and who would be willing to be interviewed on video for use in a new teacher training course I'm working on - 'Learning Technologies for the Classroom'. The idea is to have short interviews outlining how you use tech in the classroom. I have some specific questions/prompts as well.
                          >
                          > If you are interested, please drop me a line.
                          >
                          > Even if you aren't going but would like to be involved, let me know - we could do it online.
                          >
                          > Best
                          >
                          > Chris

                        • David Read
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 18, 2013
                            hi Chris,

                            I'll be at Liverpool and would be happy to be interviewed.

                            David Read

                            On 18 March 2013 07:38, Chris Baldwin <chris.let@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Dear all
                            >
                            > Apologies for cross posting, as they say 😊
                            >
                            > I am looking for teachers who are going to IATEFL Liverpool and who would
                            > be willing to be interviewed on video for use in a new teacher training
                            > course I'm working on - 'Learning Technologies for the Classroom'. The idea
                            > is to have short interviews outlining how you use tech in the classroom. I
                            > have some specific questions/prompts as well.
                            >
                            > If you are interested, please drop me a line.
                            >
                            > Even if you aren't going but would like to be involved, let me know - we
                            > could do it online.
                            >
                            > Best
                            >
                            > Chris

                          • Natalya
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 18, 2013
                              Hello Chris--

                              I think it's an interesting suggestion. I am going to be in Liverpool and would like to contribute to this project. Is there some more detailed description of what is it necessary to be prepared for? What is the interview's planned length? Are you going to provide a schedule? What days of the conference you are planning to have people interviewed?

                              Best,

                              Natalya Eydelman