Re: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Re: The Great ICT Debate on Interactive Whiteboards

  • Gavin Dudeney
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2013
      Marc,

      I'm not surprised that IWB manufacturers are seeing the writing on the
      wall and trying to muscle in on the tablet revolution. However, given
      that in the UK (where you're writing from, presumably) I can buy a
      perfectly usable tablet on Amazon for as low as GBP53
      (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/278-1036479-9425857?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=android+tablet)
      I still can't see why I'd want to spend GBP125 on the Promethean one, or
      indeed another 1,500 or so on a usable IWB. It makes no sense to me.

      I'm also less than surprised that a company trying to hawk Android
      tablets to supplement their expensive main product should try to find
      problems with iPads in class. That advice does fly in the face of the
      number of iOS devices currently in business and education. A class set
      of iPads is no more complicated or time-consuming to update than a class
      of Android tablets.

      Best,

      Gavin

      > Marc Loewenthal <mailto:marcoloe@...>
      > 7 February 2013 00:39
      >

      > Hi All
      >
      > Just a quick update to this discussion. I visited the Promethean stand
      > at the BETT Show last week and asked about developments. I noticed
      > that they have a new mini-tablet in beta, so I tried one. It runs on
      > Android, likely to be the latest version, and will have all the
      > relevant Promethean software on it as well. It can be used just like
      > any other Android tablet. It is likely to cost between £100 and £125,
      > with a discount for bulk buys. I found that it's very responsive and
      > fast, and is just like a mini version of my Nexus 7, so it can be used
      > both in class and at home for students to do their research and
      > homework outside class. It can be used as an alternative to the voting
      > systems and will aid collaboration and individual learning in class as
      > well, with their work uploadeed onto the board via a dongle in the
      > main computer.
      >
      > I spoke to one of the technicians there, who was an Apple devotee, and
      > he praised it highy. He said that while he could never do without his
      > iPad, he didn't think iPads were suitable for schools, not just
      > because of the price, but also because of the issues with updating
      > software and apps, which is a nightmare for school technicians faced
      > with updating hundreds of units, but only ten at a time. With Android
      > tablets, all the tablets can be updated in one go. I've signed up with
      > Promethean for updates to this development and I'm really keen to see
      > how it develops. I can see my college buying a class set of ten or so
      > to pilot.
      >
      > Marc Loewenthal
      >
      > There is no other dictionary other than The Other Dictionary

      Gavin Dudeney - Director of Technology, The Consultants-E
      c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain | +34 93 427 4240
      [ TCE Blogs <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/publications/blogs.aspx> |
      TCE Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/TheConsultantsE> | TCE Twitter
      <http://twitter.com/theconsultantse> | TCE YouTube
      <http://www.youtube.com/theconsultantse>]

      CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE
      This email and any attachments are private and confidential. It is
      intended for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient,
      any use, disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is
      unauthorised. You may not read, use or take any action in reliance on
      it. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
      immediately by replying to this email and permanently delete the email
      from your computer. The contents of any attachments to this e-mail may
      contain software viruses which could damage your own computer system.
      While we have taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk,
      we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result
      of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before
      opening any attachments.