enquiring from Peru about FCE apps

  • Klaus Michelsen
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 9, 2012
      Hi everybody,

      I am just about to embark on a really interesting mobile game based learning project here in Lima. The project seeks to develop mobile games for students to practice FCE vocabulary and grammar. Does anybody know if this has already been done before? In other words, do such games already exist?

      Thanks so much.

      Klaus

    • Stephen Chadwick
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10, 2012
        Not games, but we have some FCE practice apps on iTunes.
        e.g. Use of English
        http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/fce-use-of-english/id541898424?mt=8

        Good luck with your interesting project!

        Stephen Chadwick
        Exam English
      • Klaus Michelsen
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10, 2012
          Thanks, Stephen. Actually, somebody from the SIG gave last year a really interesting webinar on mobile games. Can't remember her name so I can get in touch with her though. Do you?

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 20, 2012
            Hi
            Just thought I'd let you know that I had downloaded the app listed here
            but I have to say I was very disappointed - £1.49 for 4 short tests. I
            had expected to get a bit more for the money!
            Cheers
            Ruby

            --
            Ruby Rennie

            Charteris Land 3.6
            Institute for Education, Teaching and Leadership
            Moray House School of Education
            University of Edinburgh
            Holyrood Road
            Edinburgh
            EH8 8AQ

            ruby.rennie@...

          • Martin Eayrs
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20, 2012
              I just googled the price of a packet of cigarettes in the UK (I don't smoke) and see that for £1.49 you can currently buy 4 cigarettes. That would be one cigarette per test, each costing about 35p. There's not much I can buy for £1.49 these days. It won't buy me a beer (which I do drink), a hamburger, get me to the cinema or cover a minimum bus or tube ride. It will however buy me one and a half items in a pound shop or four days TV license in the UK .Minimum wage for adults in the UK is currently £6.08 per hour, so there will have been some costs involved - and, who knows, maybe more than £1.49's worth of cigarettes consumed. Maybe it's different in Edinburgh.

              I saw no comment on the tests themselves, only on their cost. I haven't seen the tests myself, so I don't know, but if they have been written to specifications, proofread and in some way pre-tested, I imagine we're talking about quite a few hours work. And they can of course be used again. And again. Presumably, for ever.

              My grasp on economic theory will doubtless be questionable, but I think my point will be clear. Hats off to all you guys producing apps and other software.

              Martin Eayrs
              Manchester, UK
            • Ruby Rennie
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 21, 2012
                Hi Martin
                You're right - comparing with other things like cigarettes etc that are
                available in the UK this is possibly quite a good deal (I'm not a smoker
                myself either, so don't tend to make that a comparison for anything). I
                wasn't comparing it to a general living cost, but to what you can get on
                apps and what is also available for FCE
                eg http://www.flo-joe.co.uk/fce/students/tests/tsindex.htm
                gives you probably 10 times the number of tests for practice for free
                (and you can use them again and again also).
                I'm not against developing apps - I think it's a really exciting
                development. It would be great if the developers of the app we're
                commenting on can continue their work. I do think that mobile apps are
                the way to go.

                Ruby

                On 20/08/2012 22:10, Martin Eayrs wrote:

                > I just googled the price of a packet of cigarettes in the UK (I don't
                > smoke) and see that for £1.49 you can currently buy 4 cigarettes. That
                > would be one cigarette per test, each costing about 35p. There's not
                > much I can buy for £1.49 these days. It won't buy me a beer (which I
                > do drink), a hamburger, get me to the cinema or cover a minimum bus or
                > tube ride. It will however buy me one and a half items in a pound shop
                > or four days TV license in the UK .Minimum wage for adults in the UK
                > is currently £6.08 per hour, so there will have been some costs
                > involved - and, who knows, maybe more than £1.49's worth of cigarettes
                > consumed. Maybe it's different in Edinburgh.
                >
                > I saw no comment on the tests themselves, only on their cost. I
                > haven't seen the tests myself, so I don't know, but if they have been
                > written to specifications, proofread and in some way pre-tested, I
                > imagine we're talking about quite a few hours work. And they can of
                > course be used again. And again. Presumably, for ever.
                >
                > My grasp on economic theory will doubtless be questionable, but I
                > think my point will be clear. Hats off to all you guys producing apps
                > and other software.
                >
                > Martin Eayrs
                > Manchester, UK

              • Chris Baldwin
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 26, 2012
                  Hi all

                  I'm currently looking around for something to study for my own professional development as a learning technologist. I've already got my Master's in TESOL so don't fancy doing another Master's.

                  I was thinking about some sort of post-grad certificate in computing or similar - I'd love to improve my technical knowledge - in particular learn how to code a plugin for Moodle. The other option would be something management related but lighter than an MBA.

                  Does anyone on the list have any thoughts, experiences or courses to recommend?

                  Best

                  Chris Baldwin
                • Rodney Mantle
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 27, 2012
                    Hi Chris,
                    Just in case you aren't aware, how about the Consultants-e?
                    admin@...
                    Best wishes,
                    Rodney Mantle
                    from 26 August: travelling in Ireland
                    from 5 September 2012
                    18 Beresford Court, Park Road,
                    Twickenham TW1 2PU, UK
                    Mobile: 00 44 (0)7876-567 623

                    To: LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 27, 2012
                      Thanks for this link. I posted it on my Teacher Ed curated site in case
                      others are interested.
                      http://www.scoop.it/t/telt/p/2517308724/gamification-free-online-course-from-penn-state

                      --
                      Shona Whyte
                      *MCF Anglais*

                    • mackichan2006
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 27, 2012
                        Hi Chris,

                        If you want to focus on programming skills, I would recommend the Diploma in Computing with the Open University. It gives a solid grounding in Java and SQL. The skills learnt make it reasonably straightforward to get up and running with an unfamiliar language.

                        As far as coding a Moodle plug-in is concerned, the biggest problem is the lack of information - this is something I am very interested in doing but I found there is just not enough information to get me started.

                        I am wondering if there would be any interest in a short introductory course that would help people make their first plugin. Perhaps some kind of self help group, rather than a course?

                        Cheers,

                        Pete

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 29, 2012
                          Thanks for the ideas everyone.

                          I like the idea of a group to teach ourselves Moodle development!

                          I've been looking at this: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Developer_documentation but a lot is outdated. There's also a book on it, but for Moodle 1.9: http://www.packtpub.com/moodle-19-extension-development/book - I don't know how useful it would be for M2.

                          I'm thinking about doing the Lynda.com course on php as a starting place.

                          Chris

                          To: LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com
                          From: pete2008@...
                          Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:17:02 +0000