Examples of mobile-assisted language learning in UK HE

  • Michael Thomas
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 1:15 PM
      I'm writing a report on mobile-assisted language learning (MALL) in UK higher education.
      I'd be grateful for examples of projects that have been developed over the last five years, particularly those that have gone beyond the pilot phase in the HE sector.
      Second, which smartphone / tablet apps are most popular among your HE students for learning languages?
      Please write to me at: michael.thomas@...
      Thanks

      Michael Thomas
    • Tal Levy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3 9:51 PM
        Dear Michael

        We use Socrative http://www.socrative.com/ which is a free, online system of
        clickers to increase interactivity within our classroom. In addition to the
        easiness of use(it works with all mobile devices including smart phones,
        tablets & laptops) it allows the teacher to receive an Excel report at the
        end of the activity which basically allows for quick pop quizzes or just to
        check if sts understood what was taught/discussed.

        I would be happy to learn what other people use

        Best wishes

        Tal Levy
        Head of English Department
        AT & LD language advisor
        RUPPIN ACADEMIC CENTER
        Emek Hefer 4025000 Israel
        Office: 09-8983031
        <mailto:tallevy@...> tallevy@...

        I'm writing a report on mobile-assisted language learning (MALL) in UK
        higher education.
        I'd be grateful for examples of projects that have been developed over the
        last five years, particularly those that have gone beyond the pilot phase in
        the HE sector.
        Second, which smartphone / tablet apps are most popular among your HE
        students for learning languages?
        Please write to me at: michael.thomas@...
        <mailto:michael.thomas%40gmx.co.uk>
        Thanks

        Michael Thomas

      • NORMA BREWER
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4 6:18 AM
          Dear MichaelI think it would be helpful if you stated which educational institution you work for/are associated with, when posting on this list  re a research topic.SincerelyNorma (English Language Consultancy)
          Norma Brewernlbrewer@...