Re: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] E-safety - issues

  • Marisa Constantinides, CELT Athens
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16, 2012
      Dear Nicky and Carol,

      This was a great introduction to a topic which has not, perhaps, received
      the same amount of attention in ELT centres as it has in the framework of
      mainstream education in the UK and other countries.

      Many thanks for organising this and I hope this will generate some
      discussion of *how *ELT teachers and ELT managers should go about
      introducing the issues raised by Carol

      It's a great opportunity for the group to share best practices

      Many thanks again

      Marisa

      --
      Marisa Constantinides
      CELT Athens <http://www.celt.edu.gr>

      School email info@...
      Tel +306974065437

      Twitter @Marisa_C <http://www.twitter.com/Marisa_C>
      Skype marisa.constantinides.celt
      Facebook Marisa
      Constantinides<http://www.facebook.com/home.php#%21/Marisa.Constantinides>
      LinkedIn Marisa
      Constantinides<http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=24161923&locale=en_US&trk=tab_pro>
      Blog: TEFL Matters <http://marisaconstantinides.edublogs.org/>

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16, 2012
        Hello Nicky and Marisa
        Thanks to everyone for coming, it was great to see you there!
        Marisa I think you are right, e-safety has become an important issue
        here and is being addressed quite extensively in mainstream education.
        Thinking to the IATEFL PARSNIP , topics that publishers would like
        writers to stay clear of, including Politics, Alcohol, Religion, Sex,
        Narcotics, Isms and Pornography (or pork) I guess discussions e-safety
        could fit into some ELT lessons :-)
        There was a newspaper article from this weekend which I did not share, I
        only picked it up last night - once again about sexting. Teachers
        teaching teens may like to read as a follow
        uphttp://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1491322_internet-sa\
        fety-sexting-a-growing-threat-to-children?goback=%2Egde_3881040_member_1\
        08034422
        <http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1491322_internet-saf\
        ety-sexting-a-growing-threat-to-children?goback=%2Egde_3881040_member_10\
        8034422>
        The issue of blocking mentioned by Nicky referred to Facebook rather
        than the internet as a whole. Schools were told to block it and not
        mention it, children were too young so teachers had no right to discuss
        it etc., now the advice is teach the children how to lock down their
        profiles. A statistic that I read a few minutes go, and it is not
        verified, is that 38% of Facebook users are under 12, whether right or
        wrong there is certainly a large number of children using it and they
        need to be taught how to keep themselves safe by locking their profiles
        down. To that end there is masses of helpful literature on Facebook for
        teachers, parents, teens and more http://www.facebook.com/safety
        <http://www.facebook.com/safety> .
        Regards
        Carol