Recording breakout rooms in Adobe Connect

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hi all

      For my MA DTCE <http://madigitaltechnologies.wordpress.com/>
      dissertation I'm researching interaction and participation in moderated
      synchronous meetings using Adobe Connect. I'm attempting a
      "multimodal" discourse analysis which looks at actions within AC (e.g.
      polling, moving pods, using the whiteboard) as well as textual discourse
      via chat and audio.

      I'm using the British Council TeachingEnglish programme, E-moderator
      Essentials, for my data. Besides helping develop the site, as
      E-Learning Editor for the TE team, I'm investigating ways of using AC
      on our courses. I'm also enrolled on a current EME course as a
      participant.

      For the pilot study I'm analysing three "episodes", each featuring a
      different task and approach: a teacher-centred approach (giving an
      introduction to the software - procedural knowledge), a teacher-led
      discussion of course content (conceptual knowledge), and more
      learner-centred discussions within breakout rooms, culminating in short
      presentations to the whole group (conceptual).

      I have archived recordings of our two sessions, which offer enough
      data for my purposes, but I've hit a stumbling block: the recordings
      haven't captured anything from the breakout rooms. The discourse and
      actions within them are fundamental to my research.

      Though I've done plenty of reading on the theory of synchronous CMC, I'm
      a real novice when it comes to actually using Adobe Connect and running
      and recording meetings. I can certainly complete my pilot study without
      the breakout room data - by only analysing whole group discussions - but
      I need to record them in future meetings for the final dissertation.

      Please could someone tell me if (and how) I can record them? I'm aware
      that there are a number of experts in this field in the LTSIG ...

      Thanks in advance and I look forward to sharing my research with you
      all!

      Dave

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
        Hi Dave,
        I'm still figuring out Adobe Connect as a moderator myself.
        A couple of these links seem to be relevant
        http://help.adobe.com/en_US/connect/8.0/using/WS372813bbb4178f2417094f9e\
        12b308681ed-8000.html
        <http://help.adobe.com/en_US/connect/8.0/using/WS372813bbb4178f2417094f9\
        e12b308681ed-8000.html>
        http://www.connectusers.com/forums/cucbb/viewtopic.php?id=6044
        <http://www.connectusers.com/forums/cucbb/viewtopic.php?id=6044>
        Best
        Paul

      • David
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2012
          Hi Paul and other webinar moderators!

          It looks like the only way to do this is to stop recording the main room
          when breakouts begin and then choose one of the rooms to record. I guess
          I can ask one small group of trainees to agree to have their breakout
          recorded and analyse the data from that room.

          Has anyone else tried this?

          For now, the transcript from the main room - taken from immediately
          after the breakout discussions, when we reconvened - should suffice for
          my pilot study research. It yields some useful conclusions for anyone
          moderating a webinar:

          * having a "procedural" introductory session - where the moderator
          demonstrates how to use Connect - can ease interaction, e.g. raising
          hands to manage turn-taking, asking for the microphone, or remembering
          to mute and un-mute the microphone

          * sharing the agenda before and during the session is important as it
          provides a focus for discussion
          * having an asynchronous forum discussion prior to the session and
          assigning pre-reading can promote deeper engagement and reflection - and
          also provides a focus for synchronous discussion

          * having an assistant moderator is vital, not only in the event of
          unseen technical problems but also to manage interaction

          * breakout rooms help ensure more equal participation and involve
          shyer participants, especially in groups of more than 6-8

          * breakout rooms encourage peer-learning of both procedural and
          conceptual knowledge
          * audio and video increase social presence and are experienced as
          highly motivating
          * polling is a useful tool to involve participants between different
          stages and then stimulate discussion

          * "notes" and the whiteboard can both be used as visual aids to help
          participants follow each other's presentations

          * follow-up discussions in a forum, together with an archived
          recording of the session, can promote further reflection

          I felt that our expertly-run webinar - not run by me, I hasten to add -
          led to a far more intense exchange of ideas in a much shorter period of
          time than a purely forum-based discussion. Using a collaborative,
          learner-centred approach, it ensured everyone's ideas were heard and
          discussed. It also gave participants opportunities for deeper
          reflection, during and after the session.

          I'd be really interested to hear from anyone else in the LTSIG who uses
          webinars for teacher development - or who has carried out research in
          this area. I hope to share my own pilot study with you soon.

          Dave

          --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, "Paul"

          \
          > 12b308681ed-8000.html

          <http://help.adobe.com/en_US/connect/8.0/using/WS372813bbb4178f2417094f9\
          \
          > e12b308681ed-8000.html>
          > http://www.connectusers.com/forums/cucbb/viewtopic.php?id=6044
          > <http://www.connectusers.com/forums/cucbb/viewtopic.php?id=6044>
          > Best
          > Paul

        • Chris Baldwin
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2012
            That's very interesting Dave. I think your point about having two moderators reflects the distinction between host and presenter in Connect - one for the content & the other for tech issues.

            Chris