Another question about mobile learning

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hi All

      This is more of a technical query about protecting data on tablets. We are running teacher education sessions at Manchester using tablets of various flavours, but mostly iPads and Samsung. These are used by individual staff members and then brought together when we have sessions. We are trying to find ways of hiding/ locking apps, passwording email or documets, so it doesn't have to be taken off each time we use them with a group.

      Anyone got any practice to share on this?

      Cheers
      Gary
    • Geoff Taylor
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
        Hi Gary

        Sent from my iPad

        On 2 Feb 2012, at 09:32, "Gary" <gary.motteram@...> wrote:
        > This is more of a technical query about protecting data on tablets. We are running teacher education sessions at Manchester using tablets of various flavours, but mostly iPads and Samsung. These are used by individual staff members and then brought together when we have sessions. We are trying to find ways of hiding/ locking apps, passwording email or documets, so it doesn't have to be taken off each time we use them with a group.
        > Anyone got any practice to share on this?_._,___

        I don't have any practice to share (though Google does throw up some interesting possibilities), unfortunately, but I would like to say how much I'm enjoying using my iPad 2 in class as a presentation device, if it's not too off topic.

        Using a VGA connector to connect the iPad to a digital projector, i find I'm using it more and more. For prepared presentations, Keynote (Apple's alternative to PowerPoint) is brilliant, as you can see the current screen AND the upcoming screen, so you can be a step ahead of the class, without needing printouts or anything. As well as that, I find I'm using it for most other boardwork, using a simple text app ,"My Writing" usually, as one would with a laptop, but quicker and easier to be up and running.

        Hope you find a solution (or set of solutions).

        Geoff Taylor, Oxford

      • Paul Sweeney
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
          Hi Gary,

          I don't have any direct experience of device management of the type you are talking about but there was a related thread I saw on another list last week. I'll see if I can find it for you. it was prompted by people wondering about the effect of the new iBooks on the iPad. Several people point out the irony that Apple's business model (Based on individual ownership of a highly customised machine) doesn't fit very well with their allegedly pro-education agenda. A good example is the need you outline : an educational institutional which needs to control multiple devices. classroom management software and functionality is well understood and available for sets of netbooks and laptops for example.

          this isn't an anti-Apple thing by the way. Simply pointing out it doesn't appear to be in the mindset so they haven't included in the toolset .... yet

          best

          Paul

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
            Hi Gary
            I saw this article recently on THE which might hep:
            Launching an iPad 1-to-1 Program: A Primer
            http://thejournal.com/articles/2011/12/14/launching-an-ipad-1-to-1-program-a-primer.aspx

            But I think this concept of shared ownership of iPads and how to allow access for multiple users is still one of the issues Apple has to deal with.

            I think one of the most practical solutions at the moment is using web based applicatios that run on html 5 as it's cross platform compatible rather than using specific apps that need to be downloaded. This rules out a lot of useful stuff though.

            Best

            Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
            Teacher Development: http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
            News and Tips: http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
            Student Activities: http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/
            On Social media: http://bloggingandsocialmedia.blogspot.com/
            On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NikPeachey

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
              Hi Nik

              > I saw this article recently on THE which might hep:
              > Launching an iPad 1-to-1 Program: A Primer
              > http://thejournal.com/articles/2011/12/14/launching-an-ipad-1-to-1-program-a-primer.aspx

              It's a useful article for all sorts of issues, but doesn't really cover what I'm looking for.

              > But I think this concept of shared ownership of iPads and how to allow access for multiple users is still one of the issues Apple has to deal with.

              I can't imagine that this is an issue that is anywhere near the top of the list, if on the list at all, considering how much money Apple are making currently from the iPad.

              > I think one of the most practical solutions at the moment is using web based applicatios that run on html 5 as it's cross platform compatible rather than using specific apps that need to be downloaded. This rules out a lot of useful stuff though.

              This is a useful recommendation if you are using portable devices of different flavours and the app only exists on one type. I don't get the impression that this route will last for long and HTML5 leads ultimately to app development anyway, as I understand it.

              I can solve the issue for colleagues at work, but it does involve turning off various devices while the tablets are bing used by the students.

              Maybe someone enterprising will see the opportunity for app development :-)

              Cheers
              Gary

              > This is more of a technical query about protecting data on tablets. We are running teacher education sessions at Manchester using tablets of various flavours, but mostly iPads and Samsung. These are used by individual staff members and then brought together when we have sessions. We are trying to find ways of hiding/ locking apps, passwording email or documents, so they don't have to be taken off each time we use them with a group.
              >
              > Anyone got any practice to share on this?

            • Nik Peachey
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
                Hi Gary

                You said about html 5 " I don't get the impression that this route will last for long and HTML5 leads ultimately to app development anyway, as I understand it."

                IF I get you correctly, I actually understood the opposite to be happening and that pretty soon html 5 will be able to deliver the same functionality as apps do now, but cross platform compatible through the web  browser and that html 5 would be more likely to make apps redundant. This seems to make sense as it follows the same kind of development that led to a lot of software being replaced by browser based web 2.0 sites.

                Sooner the better as far as I can see. Then we can get back to methodology and forget about the technical stuff till the next revolution.

                On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NikPeachey%c2%a0