LT SIG Event in Morocco

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2011
      LTG event in Morocco

      The Learning Technologies SIG, the Moroccan Association of Teachers of English (MATE) and The British Council, Morocco are pleased to announce the 1st International Conference of ICT in Education in Marrakech, Morocco from 8th-11th February 2012. (This is a re-schedule event).

      The CALL for papers is available on the LTSIG website: http://ltsig.org.uk/events/13-future-events/221-022012-marrakech-morocco.html. The cut off date for proposals is 16th December.

      This will be an exciting and interesting event, taking place in North Africa at a time of momentous change, make sure that you can say that you were there!

      Gary Motteram
      Event Organiser for the LTSIG.

      gary.motteram@...
    • Phil Wade
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2011
        Hi all,

        My friend at EduPad needs more Beta Testers 4 an ELT app 4 test prep. It's voluntary but you'll get some free apps.

        If you or a friend are interested take a look at:

        http://www.edupad.com/?page_id=585

        Thanks.

        Phil

      • Joe
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2011
          Corpus Technologies and Applied Linguistics: An International Conference
          Hosted by XJTLU, China and the University of Liverpool, UK
          Call for papers
          Conference theme Corpus linguistics: technologies for language research, teaching and learning
          Venue Xi’an Jiaotong Liverpool University (XJTLU), Suzhou, China
          Conference website: http://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/corpus/

          Important dates
          Abstract submission deadline: 1 March 2012
          Notification of acceptance: 15 March 2012
          Conference dates: 28-30 June 2012
          Topics include, but are not confined to:

          Corpora and CALL
          Corpus construction and new technology
          Corpora in language teaching and learning
          Access to online corpora
          Software development for corpus linguistics
          Learner corpora
          Multimedia corpora
          Bilingual corpora
          Corpora in translation studies
          Corpora for grammar, vocabulary, and language skills

          Contributions in the form of paper presentations are invited. Workshop proposals from teaching practitioners who use corpora are also welcome. The topic of a paper may be a corpus of English, Chinese, or any other language.
          Abstracts to be submitted by 1st March 2012 by online upload to Easychair, at https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ctal2012. If you do not have an Easychair account, you will need to create one on the Easychair website before you can upload.
          Abstracts should be of 250-500 words, and include details of research methods and brief results (which may be preliminary). Abstracts will be anonymously reviewed.
          After the conference, presenters will be invited to submit a full paper to a blind peer review panel, to be considered for inclusion in a published volume.

          Plenary Speakers:
          Professor Michael Hoey, Pro-Vice Chancellor, University of Liverpool, UK; Director, Liverpool Confucius Institute; author of Lexical Priming: A New Theory of Words and Language (2005); chief advisor of Macmillan English Dictionary
          Professor Mike Scott, Reader in Corpus Linguistics, Aston University, UK; author of Wordsmith Tools
          Dr Adam Kilgariff, Director, Lexical Computing Ltd; designer of Sketch Engine; advisor of Macmillan English Dictionary
          Professor Naixing Wei, Beihang University, President of the Corpus Linguistics Society of China
          Professor Maocheng Liang, Beijing Foreign Studies University, Vice president of the Corpus Linguistics Society of China

          Contact:
          Conference Secretary:
          Jinying Ma
          English Language Centre, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
          111 Ren’ai Rd, Dushu Lake Higher Education Town, Suzhou SIP, China 215123
          E-mail: corpus2012@... This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

          Dr Bin Zou
          Senior Tutor/Associate Professor
          MA (York, UK), PhD (Bristol, UK)
          Editor-in-Chief
          International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching (IJCALLT)
          http://www.igi-global.com/ijcallt
          Team Leader
          English Language Centre, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
          http://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/
          No.111 Ren'ai Road,Suzhou Industrial Park, Jiangsu, P.R. China 215123
          Tel. (86) (0) 512 8816 1305

        • Klaus Michelsen
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 13, 2011
            Hi Phil,

            Thanks for sharing this with everyone.

            It sounds like a really interesting project, BUT since I don't have an iPad, I'm afraid I can't really explore this any further. Having said this, I'm wondering if you or anybody else would know of any smart phone apps I could use to develop ESL reading and writing in struggling readers.

            Thanks.

            Klaus