Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] News from Brighton GREAT

  • joyce cunningham
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2001
      GRRRREAT idea...
      our university term starts april 1st in japan so it is almost
      impossible to cross the ocea and go to your conference
      this year when it is so late. I loved meeting you all
      in Edinburgh... and look forward to knowing about
      some of the experiences you had and the talks you
      attended. it would be very much appreciated.
      thanks in advance,
      joyce cunningham
      JALT2001 V.I.P. liaison
      JALT2001 Featured speaker proposals
      JALT2001 November 22-25th

      Sophie and Yiannis Georgiou wrote:

      > Hi everyone!
      >
      > We should all be back from Brighton by now. I hope the ones that were there
      > arrived back home safely and satisfied from what the conference has offered
      > us.
      >
      > I would like to ask colleagues that attended Brighton to share their
      > experiences with those that did not have the chance to do so. Write about a
      > talk you attended or a talk you gave, somethinig which was new for you or
      > you found very useful and interesting. I'm sure it would be much appreciated.
      >
      > Let me also take this chance to announce a change in the composition of the
      > COMP-SIG committee wihich occured at the COMP-SIG open forum in Brighton.
      > Paul Brett stood down as our discussion list moderator and Sophie
      > Ioannou-Georgiou (myself) was nominated and elected to join the committee
      > as their new member and discussion list moderator. Many, many thanks to
      > Paul from me and all of us for his continuing support and for all he's done
      > for the COMP-SIG.
      >
      > I'm hoping that our discussion list will continue to be one that we can
      > rely on for valuable information and exchange of ideas and indeed develop
      > into an even larger community of teachers willing to share their ideas and
      > knowledge and learn from each other.
      >
      > The aims of this list - as stated on our website - are:
      > - to raise awareness among ELT professionals of the power of the computer
      > to assist with language learning
      > - to contribute to the knowledge base as to how the computer can be used
      > for English language learning
      > - to develop expertise in the myriad of uses of computers with their
      > language learners
      >
      > The aims basically allow us to talk about a variety of issues that concern
      > us whether these are methodologies and techniques in using CALL or the
      > difficult technical issues we are facing.
      >
      > The bottom line is that we are a supportive community and none of us has to
      > be alone!
      >
      > I'm looking forward to seeing this community develop even further and this
      > can be achieved with your support, so please do send ideas and comments .....
      >
      > Sophie

      Joyce Cunningham (with Haruko Katsura)
      JALT National Programme Chair

      JALT2000
      November 2-5, 2000
      Shizuoka

      Towards the new Millennium
    • Sophie and Yiannis Georgiou
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2001
        Hi!

        I think everyone must be very busy catching up on all the work piled up
        during the holidays.

        That would explain not having any more news from Brighton. : )

        Well, let me start. An interesting talk I went to was "Using writing
        software with children and teenagers" by Emma Arthur.
        She presented software programs which are designed for native speakers but
        can be successfully used in EFL. It was interesting in that I found someone
        else who shares my love for two great programs: Hyperstudio and Storybook
        Weaver (They are fantastic!!!) and because I found out about some other
        programs such as Clicker, A penfriend for ELT, Primary Writer and Young
        Writer's Workshop.
        She also showed evidence of writing progress of a dyslexic child when using
        these programs and predictors in writing. Predictors are programs that can
        recognise the word you are typing and show it on the screen.

        Another interesting presentation was the first one on the COMP-SIG track
        It was Jason Firestone's presentation on Videoconferenciing.
        Last time I talked to him, he was uploading it on the Web.

        Jason, can you give us the URL?

        Sophie