Help needed!

  • Tariq Hayat
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18 9:10 AM
      Dear Group members,

      Which research tool will I need to measure the effectiveness of use of instructional technology in ESL classes?

      Comments would be appreciated.

      Regards

      TARIQ HAYAT
      MPHIL (FELLOW)
      HAMDARD UNIVERSITY, KARACHI, PAKISTAN
    • Graham
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20 12:58 AM
        Hi, this is a good question.
        As the technology is just an aid for improving language knowledge,
        the normal feedback and evaluation methods should be used

        Have a look at Evidence-based teaching (EBT).
        The "evidence-based" idea comes from the principle of testing
        and evaluating results.

        http://www.primary-education-oasis.com
        http://www.primary-education-oasis.com/best-teaching-practices.html#ixzz1YTbtWiQ1

        Geoff Petty has done a lot of work
        http://www.geoffpetty.com/

        I looked quickly for some practical methods
        https://tle.wisc.edu/category/solutions/evaluation

        Another question is the useability of the technology,
        this is usually answered by online useability testing.
        I'd like to see any material relating to the ise
        of technology for its own sake,
        "a good answer to the wrong problem" or
        "efficient methods to travel a difficult route"

        Graham

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 20 1:46 AM
          Graham, Thanks for you valuable comments

          Regards

          Tariq Hayat

        • Joe
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 22 8:29 PM
            Dear all,

            I'm pleased to announce a call for chapers in an edited book (see more details in the link):
             Computer-Assisted Foreign Language Teaching and Learning: Technological Advances.

            Editors:

            Dr. Bin ZOU, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, China
            Dr. Minjie XING, University of Manchester, UK
            Dr. Catherine Hua XIANG, LSE, UK
            Dr. Yuping WANG, Griffith University, Australia
            Dr. Mingyu SUN, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, USA

             This book offers a unique way for budding foreign language teachers to gain the skills they need to succeed in their teaching with CALL context. A number of foreign languages including Chinese, English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese, etc. and good e-learning practice and research are included, thus offers insights and implications for all.

            The chapters in this book cover an overview of CALL, mobile learning, comparison of traditional and virtual classrooms, corpus-based studies, e-learning resources and using Web 2.0 tools as open platforms for social learning. These chapters report on original research or present an original framework that links foreign language teaching, experiments and testing practices that utilize the most recent and most widely used e-learning. The chapters present results of surveys with empirical data on actual language teaching outcomes with pedagogical procedures and implications. Commentaries that discuss interesting opinions on issues related to foreign language teaching and e-learning are also included.

            Recommended topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
            • CALL and Foreign language acquisition
            • Computer-mediated communication
            • Learners’ beliefs in CALL
            • E-learning materials development for foreign language learning
            • Collaborative learning in Web 2.0 environments
            • Social networking in language learning and teaching
            • Computer games in language learning
            • Mobile learning
            • Corpora in learning and teaching
            • Using Web 2.0 tools in Foreign learning and teaching
            • E-assessment
            • Distance language learning
            • Software program design
            • Online program design
            • Teacher support in CALL

            Submission Procedure
            Researchers and practitioners are invited to submit on or before November 15, 2011, a 2-3 page chapter proposal clearly explaining the mission and concerns of their proposed chapter. They are required to explain how their chapter will meet the objectives of the book and to provide the provisional structure of their proposed chapter (name and indicative content of each section). Authors of accepted proposals will be notified by December 15, 2011 about the status of their proposals and sent chapter guidelines. Full chapters are expected to be submitted by February 15, 2012. All submitted chapters will be reviewed on a double-blind review basis.

            This publication is anticipated to be released in 2013 by  IGI Global, USA.

            Important Dates:
            November 15, 2011: Proposals Submission Deadline
            December 15, 2011: Notification of Acceptance
            February 15, 2012:   Full Chapter Submission
            April 15, 2012:         Review Results Returned
            June 15, 2012:         Final Chapter Submission
            July 15, 2012:           Final Deadline

            Editorial Advisory Board Members include:

            Mike Levy,Glenn Stockwell, Cynthia White, Ken Spencer, Claire Kennedy, Anita Alkas, Claire Bartlett, Nick Byrne, etc.

            Inquiries and submissions can be forwarded electronically (Word document):

            Dr. Bin Zou
            Senior Tutor/Associate Professor

            Editor-in-Chief
            International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching(IJCALLT)
            http://www.igi-global.com/ijcallt
            English Language Centre
            Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, China
            E-mail: bin.zou@...