RE: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Replacement for Wida?

  • Valerie Bevan
    Message 1 of 17 , May 15, 2011
      I echo Andrea's response. Many thanks, Nik! It would have been worth initiating this topic if only for this response -- which isn't to say that I haven't been grateful for other suggestions, and for the sympathy re. Wida. I got drunk with fatigue exploring "36 Tools" as Friday evening extended into Friday night -- and that was even before I started looking at your simplybox site! I've already forwarded the link to the Special Educational Needs coordinator, and will pass on the URLs of selected sites to the Modern Languages department.I am also looking into TexToys, after following up Pete McKickan's recommendation and Anami's reminder about Hot Potatoes, which I last looked at years ago, and which has some sites that appear to use TexToys to achieve some of the things I am aiming at.
      Yours gratefully,
      Valerie
      To: learningtechnologiessig@yahoogroups.com
      From: a_assentidelrio@...
      Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 17:37:10 -0300
      Subject: RE: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Replacement for Wida?

      Wonderful Nik!!! Thank you!!!!

      best

      Andrea

      To: LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com

      From: nik.peachey@...

      Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 11:28:53 +0100

      Hi Valerie

      I take your point about courseware, but I have never really been a great fan of

      Wida software (or made for ELT software generally) and prefer to use a variety

      of different tools that can, in many cases be put into the hands of students

      themselves to work with too.

      This was the theme of my IATEFL presentation in Brighton and is the basis of

      much of the training I do. You can download the handout from Scribd if you are

      interested.

      '36 Tools for Digitising your ELT Course Book'

      http://www.scribd.com/doc/53030128/36-Tools-for-Digitising-your-ELT-Course-Book

      I also collect visual bookmarks with links to the kinds of sites I think might

      be useful for this purpose at:

      http://simplybox.com/public/?id=145809

      I hope these are useful

      Best

      Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer

      Teacher Development: http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/

      News and Tips: http://quickshout.blogspot.com/

      Student Activities: http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/

      On Social media: http://bloggingandsocialmedia.blogspot.com/

      On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NikPeachey

    • Nik Peachey
      Message 2 of 17 , May 15, 2011
        That's great Valerie. Glad it's useful.

        But late Friday night and posting this on Sunday afternoon?
        What does that say about our profession????

        Hope you have a nice weekend.

        ________________________________
        From: a_assentidelrio@...
        Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 17:37:10 -0300

        Wonderful Nik!!! Thank you!!!!

        best

        Andrea

        To: LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com

        From: nik.peachey@...

        Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 11:28:53 +0100

[...]

      • letstalkonline2003
        Message 3 of 17 , May 17, 2011
          Hi Valerie,

          Have you heard of eXe?

          Exe is an authoring tool which is very easy to use. It is a software that runs on your computer and you can create courses with it and basically anybody without know-how in html can create courses with this.

          Thereafter, these courses can be packed in SCORM packages and imported in something like a moodle site for example.

          It is not a hosted solution but authorware. Free authorware. Open source. It sounds like it is a Wida alternative, but I dont know Wida that well, so only you can tell.

          http://exelearning.org/wiki

          Looking forward to your feedback

          Rgds Heike