Replacement for Wida?

  • Valerie Bevan
    Message 1 of 17 , May 12, 2011
      Dear All,
      For many years, I have been using, to my students' and my great satisfaction, Wida's Gapmaster and Storyboard in preparing students for everything from the Cambridge FCE through to the GMAT. My colleagues, students and I have built up a large collection of exercises in every imaginable genre, based on, or with particular textual details explained by, pictures, sound files and video clips. I've recently heard that the programmers of the Authoring Suite sadly do not intend to make it compatible with Windows 7.0. Is there anyone else in the same boat who has found anything half as good, in terms of ease of use, appearance and flexibility? Help, please?
      (Of course, what I'd really like is an updated version of the Wida Software, in case any of you techies have done that!)
      Yours optimistically,
      Valerie Bevan Head of EAL
      St Mary's School, Cambridge
      To: LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com
      From: jeffstanford@...
      Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:23:33 +0100
      Subject: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Re: better than Jing?

      Hi Fiona

      I convert flash files to mp4 using the free software MPEG streaming (for mac

      and windows OS): http://www.squared5.com/. There are some good how-to videos

      on youtube for using mpeg streaming. You'll also need to download perian

      from http://perian.org to import flash files into MPEG streaming.

      So once you have perian and mpeg streaming set up, the process would be:

      1. Save your flash file using Jing

      2. Convert your flash file to MP4 using MPEG streaming

      Jeff

    • Nik Peachey
      Message 2 of 17 , May 12, 2011
        Hi Valerie

        You asked about replacement for Wida

        The learning curve is a bit steeper, but if you are prepared to put in the time,

        you can get good results from: http://courselab.com/

        It's also free, but is aimed more at developing complete courses to be delivered

        on CD or through LMS rather than single activities.

        Best

        Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
        Teacher Development: http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
        News and Tips: http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
        Student Activities: http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/
        On Social media: http://bloggingandsocialmedia.blogspot.com/
        On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NikPeachey
      • Valerie Bevan
        Message 3 of 17 , May 12, 2011
          Thank you for your reply, Nik.
          I have taken a look at courselab -- but you're absolutely right; it is "aimed at courses to be delivered". What I want is something that I can use for blended learning, and differentiation in a blended learning situation. However satisfying one might find the craft of materials production, that's simply not what we school teachers are at. What we need is an authoring program that will allow us within minutes -- 5 or 10 -- to substitute for a textbook exercise another based on an up-to-the-minute news item in printed, video or audio form; or which complements a textbook writing task with something similar which is more fun (a letter of complaint based on the Monty Python Parrot Sketch, say), or offers students several ways of practising a grammatical form from which they can choose, or which are adapted to their different levels; or which makes it possible to make an outstanding student's essay a model for the rest of the class which they can discover by text reconstruction, or to use collected examples of a grammatical form provided by the students as the basis of gap-fill exercises. I know of programs that allow you to create gapped texts and text reconstruction exercises -- but I don't know of any that provide for the possibility of quickly adding picture/audio/video prompts and that have as chic a user interface as Wida's. Is there a gap in the market here? Or is there something else I'm missing?
          Cheers,
          Valerie
          Valerie Bevan, Head of EAL, St Mary's School, Cambridge

          To: LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 17 , May 13, 2011
            Hi Valerie,

            Have you looked at TexToys <http://www.cict.co.uk/textoys/index.php>?
            It's very easy to use and makes two exercises types: WebSequitur (put in
            order the sentences/paragraphs/segments of a text) and WebRhubarb
            (intended for text reconstruction, but I use it also for dictations and
            gap filling). It's not free but only EUR 23 for a single user.

            Here are a couple of examples:

            * Seasonal Affective Disorder - WebSequitur
            <http://uepd.quizport.com/mod/quizport/view.php?tab=info&unumber=-1&qp=152&sesskey=2mLSOJePj3>
            * Seasonal Affective Disorder - WebRhubarb
            <http://uepd.quizport.com/mod/quizport/view.php?tab=info&unumber=-1&qp=151&sesskey=2mLSOJePj3>

            Videos can be used as basis too.

            Hot Potatoes <http://hotpot.uvic.ca/> by the same author makes other
            exercises types and is free.

            Cheers,
            Glenys
            --
            Glenys Hanson
            Responsable du site Une Education Pour Demain

          • Nik Peachey
            Message 5 of 17 , May 13, 2011
              Hi Valerie

              I recieved this message about the same question that was posted elsewhere:

              "If you still want to give users access to such programs, you can have techs set
              up a dual boot. This would allow users to boot in to the old system (XP) with
              all the programs you require, IF they want to use them. The usual set up is to
              give an option at the boot and a default of say 5 seconds before it boots in to
              the new common system (Win7)
              This is what we will be doing on some of our machines."

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , May 13, 2011
                I'd recommend Textoys for this, especially Rhubarb which is the same as the Storyboard exercise type:

                http://www.cict.co.uk/textoys/rhubarb.php

                I don't imagine there would be any easy way to transfer ready-made exercises, but media can all be re-used so long as it's in web-compatible formats.

                John.
                http://feeldothink.org/

                Message 7 of 17 , May 13, 2011
                  Hi Valerie

                  I take your point about courseware, but I have never really been a great fan of
                  Wida software (or made for ELT software generally) and prefer to use a variety
                  of different tools that can, in many cases be put into the hands of students
                  themselves to work with too.

                  This was the theme of my IATEFL presentation in Brighton and is the basis of
                  much of the training I do. You can download the handout from Scribd if you are
                  interested.
                  '36 Tools for Digitising your ELT Course Book'
                  http://www.scribd.com/doc/53030128/36-Tools-for-Digitising-your-ELT-Course-Book

                  I also collect visual bookmarks with links to the kinds of sites I think might
                  be useful for this purpose at:
                  http://simplybox.com/public/?id=145809

                  I hope these are useful

                  Best

                  Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
                  Teacher Development: http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
                  News and Tips: http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
                  Student Activities: http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/
                  On Social media: http://bloggingandsocialmedia.blogspot.com/
                  On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NikPeachey

                • Pete MacKichan
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 13, 2011
                    Hi,

                    I'm not sure which bit of software you want a replacement for. I use
                    TexToys (http://www.cict.co.uk/textoys/index.php) to make text
                    reconstruction exercises - it's easy to embed images, audio, video etc
                    in the exercise as needed.

                    It's not free but it's definitely worth the small outlay.

                    Cheers,

                    Pete
                  • Anami
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 13, 2011
                      Hi!

                      I don't really know about Wida so I don't know exactly what you are looking
                      for. I had a look at its web and two free resources that seem similar to me
                      are: Hot potatoes http://hotpot.uvic.ca/ , which has an apperance a bit
                      boring but has quite a lot of interesting possibilities and Jclic
                      http://clic.xtec.cat/ a resource from the department education in Catalonia
                      (Spain) which is more appealing and may be interesting for younger students.

                      Nuria S.
                    • Andrea Assenti del Río
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 13, 2011
                        Wonderful Nik!!! Thank you!!!!

                        best

                        Andrea

                        To: LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 14, 2011
                          Hi Valerie

                          I sympathise with your loss of the Wida suite.

                          Some years ago, mainly using the Wida suite, we were able to build a bank of interactive materials and an easy-to-use menu system in our Mac-based lab. It was quick and easy to use and well used with all but the higher levels. When the IT department switched to Windows, that all went away.

                          Since then, we had some success with web-based authoring tools, primarily Hot Potatoes, with some teachers contributing content, and more techy types doing the actual authoring and publishing but it was time-consuming.

                          Looking for a suite of off-the-shelf materials, we also tried the MacMillan campus, but navigation to specific language areas or particular exercises was not brilliantly intuitive and it never really caught on.

                          Geoff Taylor
                          Teacher, St Clare's, Oxford
                        • Valerie Bevan
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 15, 2011
                            I echo Andrea's response. Many thanks, Nik! It would have been worth initiating this topic if only for this response -- which isn't to say that I haven't been grateful for other suggestions, and for the sympathy re. Wida. I got drunk with fatigue exploring "36 Tools" as Friday evening extended into Friday night -- and that was even before I started looking at your simplybox site! I've already forwarded the link to the Special Educational Needs coordinator, and will pass on the URLs of selected sites to the Modern Languages department.I am also looking into TexToys, after following up Pete McKickan's recommendation and Anami's reminder about Hot Potatoes, which I last looked at years ago, and which has some sites that appear to use TexToys to achieve some of the things I am aiming at.
                            Yours gratefully,
                            Valerie
                            To: learningtechnologiessig@yahoogroups.com
                            From: a_assentidelrio@...
                            Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 17:37:10 -0300

                            Wonderful Nik!!! Thank you!!!!

                            best

                            Andrea

                            To: LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 15, 2011
                              That's great Valerie. Glad it's useful.

                              But late Friday night and posting this on Sunday afternoon?
                              What does that say about our profession????

                              Hope you have a nice weekend.

                              From: a_assentidelrio@...
                              Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 17:37:10 -0300

                              Wonderful Nik!!! Thank you!!!!

                              best

                              Andrea

                              To: LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com

                              From: nik.peachey@...

                              Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 11:28:53 +0100

[...]

                            • letstalkonline2003
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 17, 2011
                                Hi Valerie,

                                Have you heard of eXe?

                                Exe is an authoring tool which is very easy to use. It is a software that runs on your computer and you can create courses with it and basically anybody without know-how in html can create courses with this.

                                Thereafter, these courses can be packed in SCORM packages and imported in something like a moodle site for example.

                                It is not a hosted solution but authorware. Free authorware. Open source. It sounds like it is a Wida alternative, but I dont know Wida that well, so only you can tell.

                                http://exelearning.org/wiki

                                Looking forward to your feedback

                                Rgds Heike