M learning video

  • Chris Baldwin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2011
      Hi all

      You might be interested in this m-learning video:

      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/try/tips/mobile-learning

      Chris

    • philawade
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2011
        Great example of how mobiles can and should be used in class. Most students have them so it's good to exploit them when needed. My students use them naturally for the following:
        1)Online dictionary/thesaurus
        2)Googling a new object/place to see a picture
        3)Google maps to find a place
        4)Taking class notes
        5)Recording speeches/talks

        They also bring their homework via their phone. I mean that when I ask them to research something they have everything on the net and so can show videos, play podcasts and read their documents online. One student even uses it to view my PPTs on the train before class.

        I still think the screens are pretty small for reading text but as a tool they are fantastic. Especially for projects like creating a video or a photobook. they can also record your boardwork.

        Any other ideas or experiences?

        Cheers

        Phil

        --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, Chris Baldwin <chris.let@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > You might be interested in this m-learning video:
        >
        > http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/try/tips/mobile-learning
        >
        > Chris

      • Barbara Gardner
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
          Hi everyone

          I really liked the video, thank you Chris (and rob for posting it). Here's a link to a video made by my colleague, teacher Claire Chapman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYrlaonG-4I. I tell a lie, her students made it! The students are all preparing for university entrance in the UK.

          Barbara

          Barbara Gardner
          Learning Technologies Training Coordinator
          Study Group UK
          Bellerbys College,Queens Campus,
          Bateman Street,
          Cambridge CB2 1LU
          T +44 1223 363159
          M 07827350020
          E bgardner@...

          This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the person to whom it has been sent and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this message or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Study Group makes no warranty that this e-mail is error or virus free. Study Group UK Ltd, Registered in England, number 3108030, Registered office: 1 Billinton Way, Brighton, East Sussex BN1 4LF. Study Group International Ltd is the parent company of Bellerbys Educational Services and Embassy CES.
        • Phil Wade
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2011
            Great video. Thanks.

            The best thing is that it seems natural for them to use them and they will take
            away averything they've worked on for further study. No more lost papers or
            notebooks. the only headache may be uploading videos but some sites have direct
            upload facilities which should save the hassle.

            Yesterday I was in an old listening lab which seems a bit outdated now. If you
            have an mp3/4 on your webpage/blog then the students just need headphones and
            they can access it on their phones. With a mobile you don't need much tech
            classroom wise. You don't really need a classroom. Something I'd love to use on
            trips or projects is GOOGLE GOGGLES or Augmented Reality. It would be great for
            foreign students in London to do a scavenger hunt/web quest combined. I think
            there's a Google Earth App too where you can make your own geographical web
            quest. The 3D stuff is amazing too.

            Thanks again

            Phil