Language learning and social media - a free webinar and a publication

  • jkrajka
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2011
      Dear colleagues,

      Language learning and teaching through social media in new EU countries:
      the case of Romania, Latvia and Poland is a set of public activities
      that are being launched from June 2010 to June 2011.

      The aim of these activities is to involve the public in a discussion
      about current and emerging uses of social media in those countries. Our
      activities include:

      A webinar: (face-to-face discussion broadcast live)

      Language learners using social media: What is happening in Latvia,
      Poland and Romania

      11.02.2011, Riga 12:30 â€" 13:30 CET (GMT+1)

      University of Latvia, Information Technology Department â€"
      Aspazijas blvd. 5

      Broadcast live via Elluminate (email to webinar.riga@...
      <mailto:webinar.riga@...> for a free invitation)

      Interaction with remote participants will be facilitated through the
      chat and the Q/A session

      Please register at webinar.riga@...
      <mailto:webinar.riga@...> soon, preferably one day before the
      event.

      A forum discussion:

      - How, and for what purposes, do language learners use the Internet in
      their everyday life and to learn languages?
      - What are learners’ perceptions and attitudes in relation to
      social media?
      - What motivates learners to become active users and contributors in
      digital social spaces?

      - How do teachers use social media in foreign language classrooms?

      In English, Polish, Romanian and Latvian:

      http://www.elearningeuropa.info/community/index.php?page=forum&f=9
      <http://www.elearningeuropa.info/community/index.php?page=forum&f=9>

      A study:

      Social media and language learning: beliefs, attitudes and uses in
      Latvia, Poland and Romania

      Freely available in English, French, Latvian, Romanian and Polish
      (http://www.elearningeuropa.info/main/index.php?page=fix&id=48
      <http://www.elearningeuropa.info/main/index.php?page=fix&id=48> )

      On the basis of approximately 60 interviews carried out in Latvia,
      Poland and Romania with people of varying degrees of computer use and
      familiarity with web 2.0 technologies, this study traces prevailing
      current Internet uses and people’s beliefs concerning the use of
      social media for learning languages The study is based on mixed method
      research (interviews, questionnaires, cross-country quantitative data).

      Join our activities, share your views! We look forward to learning and
      interacting with you!

      European network “language learning and social media: 6 key
      dialogues”

      http://www.elearningeuropa.info/languagelearning
      <http://www.elearningeuropa.info/languagelearning>

      Join us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/languages_web2> and on LinkedIn
      <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/language-learning-and-social-media/25/67/55\
      0>

      Supported by the European Commission (LLP programme, KA2 Languages)

    • miltosdoukanaris
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2011
        Dear Friend,

        I would like to thank you for the bellow post. I find this project very interesting and I will be surely following the progress of the project through the website you have posted.

        Kind regards,

        Miltos Doukanaris