Fwd: Keeping up with best practices

  • dnewson2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2011
      I'd like to share with YLTSIG Ning and Learning Technologies the work of two people who regularly make great contributions to the use of technology in or facilitating the TEFL/TESOL classroom - Vance Stevens and Barbara Dieu. Both have made Elluminate presentations in the past for YLTSIG and must be well known to members of this list.

      Dennis

      -------

      *** At the end of this group of forwarded messages there is the URL of a recording of the presentation that Vance describes.
      -----------------
      evonline2002_webheads] EVO Presentation today Jan 30 on eporfolios 13:00 GMT in Elluminate
      Inbox

      Vance
      to evonline2002_w.
      show details 9:37 AM (6 hours ago)
      Images are not displayed.
      Display images below - Always display images from vancestev@...

      Vance Stevens leads a discussion of ePortfolios at 13:00 GMT today in Elluminate http://tinyurl.com/y3eh.

      George Siemens says that his job in directing a MOOC, a massive online open course, is to provide cohesion and content. It is up to the participants to network and glean knowledge from that content.

      The currently running EVO Multiliteracies session emulates a MOOC framework where the M stands for “miniscule online open course†because the framework scales. Find explanations of the concept in Dave Cormier's 3 videos in the first three weeks of the Goodbyegutenberg syllabus; for example the last one about knowledge in a MOOC: http://goodbyegutenberg.pbworks.com/Week3EVO2011

      I explained how this concept is applied to this course on Jan 16 here:
      https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2011-01-16.0517.M.7AE801FFB6...
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/16jan2011evomlit

      In this presentation I echoed Dave's suggestion that to find your way through a MOOC you need to orient, declare, network, cluster, and focus. In other words, orient yourself in the materials that are laid out for you. Then declare your intention to interact (in an introduction perhaps). Then network with the others in the group. This network actually is one of the great outcomes of a MOOC, it's what you take away from the MOOC that enables further learning afterwards. Eventually find people in the network who wish to pursue knowledge similar to what you are interested in. For example, some here have done this successfully in the Facebook thread. Finally you focus on the knowledge you wish to gain; for example in an eportfolio.

      I created a portal for the eportfolios of Jan 2010 participants here:
      http://vancestevens.com/papers/tesol/pp107/eportfolios10.htm

      Eportfolios are an excellent way for mature 21st century learners to track and reflect on their learning goals and accomplishments. They are ideal tools for mature learners to perform self-assessment, and even for institutional assessment for such learners; e.g.

      * They motivate students/participants by providing global audience
      * Hence students spend more time perfecting them for peers than they do for a teacher
      * Thus they encourage global perspective
      * They are connectivist
      * They introduce learners to social networking, concept of networked learning
      * They fit well with MOOC philosophy
      * They invite dialog, conversation (clustering)
      * They are constructivist
      * They encourage reflection
      * They encourage learners to set their own goals, propose learning strategies, document milestones, and present outcomes
      * They are owned by learners, not by institution
      * They are sometimes maintained by learners after a course ends
      * Thus they carry over into lifelong learning
      * They carry over into real life (as cv's for example)
      * They help make learners aware of their personal web presence
      * As assessment tools they are formative

      For more background links see:
      http://goodbyegutenberg.pbworks.com/Week2EVO2011

      This event starts at noon GMT when teaching practitioners gather at http://tappedin.org for informal text chat. At 13:00 GMT we move to the presentation venue.in Elluminate http://tinyurl.com/y3eh
      ( Elluminate is generously provided to us by Learning Times, and prior registration is required (non-intrusive, takes only minutes).

      For more information and links to recordings please visit http://learning2gether.pbworks.com

      The Google Calendar showing these events is displayed at http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/calendar
      http://multiliteracies.ning.com/
      http://taedtech.ning.com

      Hope to see you there,

      Vance

      Barbara Dieu
      to evonline2002_w.
      show details 11:43 AM (4 hours ago)
      Images are not displayed.
      Display images below - Always display images from beeonline@...

      Hi Vance,
      I have started subtitling Dave Cormier's videos on Universal
      Subtitles. Some are finished, the others have two lines. As the idea
      is collaborative work in a network, maybe others would like to pitch
      in and give some time to complete them, synch and translate them into
      their own languages.

      Here they are:
      What is a Mooc: http://universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/3GUrkLqT2TOv/
      Knowledge in a Mooc: http://universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/nAa9AdqMgtdk
      Success in a Mooc : http://universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/kFOHkcIKQU71

      Other videos I have subtitled (and/or translated) which may be of
      interest to the community.

      Learn How to Use Universal Subtitles:
      http://universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/nAa9AdqMgtdk
      Open Access: http://universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/ziykU2PBdTuZ
      Universality: http://universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/nBiLLunr6NkJ
      and
      No Digital Facelifts: http://universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/6sinr63ssOOV

      Warm regards from Brazil,
      B.

      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://barbaradieu.com

      Barbara is not available to chat

      Vance
      to evonline2002_w.
      show details 3:43 PM (36 minutes ago)
      Images are not displayed.
      Display images below - Always display images from vancestev@...

      Recording in Elluminate:

      * http://tinyurl.com/2011jan30epflio
      * https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2011-01-30.0527.M.7AE801FFB6...

      Hope at least one of these works for you. Thanks those who were there.

      Vance

      re-posted: Dennis Newson