Re: synchronous platforms

  • letstalkonline2003
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 26, 2010
      Hi Randi,

      Did you not enquire about synchronous platforms?

      Moodle is, apart from a built-in chat not really
      synchronous.

      Are you interested in synchronous, as in real-time
      such as provided by virtual classroom technology,
      instant messaging and virtual worlds?

      rgds Heike
    • letstalkonline2003
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 27, 2010
        Hi Randi,

        Nergiz is totally right.

        Another good one is vyew.com, free for up to 10ppl.

        Here is an overview of synchronous tools (work in progress).
        http://www.mindmeister.com/maps/show/44333165

        Rgds Heike
      • reh12001
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 27, 2010
          Hi Heike and all,

          Yes, you and Nergiz are correct - I was asking about synchronous platforms, sometimes referred to as virtual classrooms; i.e., places where teachers and students can 'meet' at the same time. While I do appreciate the recommendations for collaborative/social networking/web 2.0 type platforms, I am really looking for things like Elluminate or Adobe Connect. I had forgotten about Vyew - a site which I had bookmarked a while ago, so thanks for reminding me.

          So now that we've clarified that, which platform do those of you out there who use them like best? Why? What features would you like to see?

          Heike - thanks for the link to your mindmap...very helpful!

          Best,
          Randi

          --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, "letstalkonline2003" <heike.philp@...> wrote:

          > Hi Randi,
          >
          > Nergiz is totally right.
          >
          > Another good one is vyew.com, free for up to 10ppl.
          >
          > Here is an overview of synchronous tools (work in progress).
          > http://www.mindmeister.com/maps/show/44333165
          >
          > Rgds Heike

        • Paul Sweeney
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
            Hi all,

            there was a good discussion on this recently on ALT - the UK's Higher Ed list

            The conclusion was that Elluminate, Adobe Connect and Flashmeeting were the best
            of the bunch though all had their strong and weak points. (including price)

            A guy called Kevin Brace from Aston University posted an excellent link to an
            overview wiki here
            http://wiki.rscwmsystems.org.uk/index.php/Synchronous_webcasting_tools

            As well as a comprehensive listing of tools, this also addresses the point that
            it's about how the tool is used as much as the tool itself with its own good
            practice guide and links to others.

            Best

            Paul

            Paul Sweeney