Re: synchronous platforms

  • letstalkonline2003
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 26 4:16 AM
      Hi Randi,

      Did you not enquire about synchronous platforms?

      Moodle is, apart from a built-in chat not really
      synchronous.

      Are you interested in synchronous, as in real-time
      such as provided by virtual classroom technology,
      instant messaging and virtual worlds?

      rgds Heike
    • Nergiz
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 26 4:25 AM
        Hi Randi

        There are a lot of platforms each with its own advantages and disadvantages and different features.

        Adobe Connect is a professional platform that has a simple (non-distracting) interface. Normally, it's quite expensive but I heard that via http://www.supercoolschool.com/ it only costs $15/month.

        Two free and relatively nice solutions are wiziq.com and http://www.supercoolschool.com/. Wiziq has a special free version for academics/teachers. Both can be embedded in Moodle (if this is your asynchronous platform).

        A new one is http://www.blueteach.com/ but I don't have any experience with it.

        Best

        Nergiz
      • letstalkonline2003
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 27 4:38 AM
          Hi Randi,

          Nergiz is totally right.

          Another good one is vyew.com, free for up to 10ppl.

          Here is an overview of synchronous tools (work in progress).
          http://www.mindmeister.com/maps/show/44333165

          Rgds Heike
        • reh12001
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 27 5:39 AM
            Hi Heike and all,

            Yes, you and Nergiz are correct - I was asking about synchronous platforms, sometimes referred to as virtual classrooms; i.e., places where teachers and students can 'meet' at the same time. While I do appreciate the recommendations for collaborative/social networking/web 2.0 type platforms, I am really looking for things like Elluminate or Adobe Connect. I had forgotten about Vyew - a site which I had bookmarked a while ago, so thanks for reminding me.

            So now that we've clarified that, which platform do those of you out there who use them like best? Why? What features would you like to see?

            Heike - thanks for the link to your mindmap...very helpful!

            Best,
            Randi

            --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, "letstalkonline2003" <heike.philp@...> wrote:

            > Hi Randi,
            >
            > Nergiz is totally right.
            >
            > Another good one is vyew.com, free for up to 10ppl.
            >
            > Here is an overview of synchronous tools (work in progress).
            > http://www.mindmeister.com/maps/show/44333165
            >
            > Rgds Heike

          • Paul Sweeney
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
              Hi all,

              there was a good discussion on this recently on ALT - the UK's Higher Ed list

              The conclusion was that Elluminate, Adobe Connect and Flashmeeting were the best
              of the bunch though all had their strong and weak points. (including price)

              A guy called Kevin Brace from Aston University posted an excellent link to an
              overview wiki here
              http://wiki.rscwmsystems.org.uk/index.php/Synchronous_webcasting_tools

              As well as a comprehensive listing of tools, this also addresses the point that
              it's about how the tool is used as much as the tool itself with its own good
              practice guide and links to others.

              Best

              Paul

              Paul Sweeney