Re-wind and replay facilities on Skype?

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2010
      Dear colleagues,

      I am teaching 1:1 in Skype and want to be able to play an mp3 recording,
      which I can fast forward, repeat etc. i.e. be in control and I want it to be
      heard by me and the learner. For the ability to wind backwards and forwards
      using Audacity seems to me to be the best solution. But how can I get us
      both listening synchronously to the same recording?

      Grateful for all suggestions and comments.

      Dennis aka Osna

    • Richard Pinner
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2010
        Hi Dennis

        To the best of my knowledge the only way would be to try doing a screen
        share where you are actually in control of the students computer through
        Skype and see if that works. I've never done that using skype, so I can't
        say for sure if it will achieve what you need.
        http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/allfeatures/screensharing/

        We use Adobe Connect for our online classes but this is an expensive
        program. It does easily allow you to share powerpoints and audio files
        synchronously and even have break-out rooms if you are teaching groups. Also
        Eluminate is similar, basically any of the commercially available Virtual
        Classrooms.

        I would be interested to know how the screen share idea goes, but it seems
        that if you are controlling an application on your students machine through
        skype screen share that this should be able to allow you to do what you
        need.

        Best

        Richard

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2010
          Hi Dennis

          If you have the audio as a YouTube video, then SynchTube.com may be what you are looking for.

          Hope this helps.

          Howard

          --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

          > Dear colleagues,
          >

          > I am teaching 1:1 in Skype and want to be able to play an mp3 recording,
          > which I can fast forward, repeat etc. i.e. be in control and I want it to be
          > heard by me and the learner. For the ability to wind backwards and forwards
          > using Audacity seems to me to be the best solution. But how can I get us
          > both listening synchronously to the same recording?
          >
          > Grateful for all suggestions and comments.
          >

          > Dennis aka Osna

        • Amal Abou Setta
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2010
            Hi Dennis,

            Have you tried Webinar? It's got that feature.

            Amal

            On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Richard Pinner <
            richard.pinner@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dennis
            >
            > To the best of my knowledge the only way would be to try doing a screen
            > share where you are actually in control of the students computer through
            > Skype and see if that works. I've never done that using skype, so I can't
            > say for sure if it will achieve what you need.
            > http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/allfeatures/screensharing/
            >
            > We use Adobe Connect for our online classes but this is an expensive
            > program. It does easily allow you to share powerpoints and audio files
            > synchronously and even have break-out rooms if you are teaching groups.
            > Also
            > Eluminate is similar, basically any of the commercially available Virtual
            > Classrooms.
            >
            > I would be interested to know how the screen share idea goes, but it seems
            > that if you are controlling an application on your students machine through
            > skype screen share that this should be able to allow you to do what you
            > need.
            >
            > Best
            >
            > Richard

            Amal Abou-Setta, Instructor
            Rhetoric & Composition Department
            The American University in Cairo
            HUSS 1078
            Ext. 1993

          • Dennis Newson
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 8, 2010
              Richard and Howard,

              Thanks so much for your responses. Someone on another list recommended:

              http://sourceforge.net/projects/skypeplayer/

              <http://sourceforge.net/projects/skypeplayer/>The blurb reads:

              Skype Audio Player allows playing audio files (mp3, wav, wma) during Skype
              calls to both parties. It is a simple tool without luxurious functions,
              useful for those who study foreign languages using Skype and need to play
              sample dialogs or audio tests.
              <http://sourceforge.net/projects/skypeplayer/files/SkypePlayer-1.0b.exe/download>

              It is precisely what I was looking for and I have tried it out once.
              Sometimes the sound breaks up a little, but that is probably my student's
              connection rather than the application. I'd be interested to hear from
              anyone else on the list who gives this a try.

              Richard. My student and I frequently use screen share - very useful. But in
              this case I could see what he was playing, through Audacity, but did not
              hear his sound. (This reminds me of another sound issue that has been
              bugging me for years - but I will make that the subject of another post.

              Howard. I'm off to inspect SynchTube.com

              Dennis

            • letstalkonline2003
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2010
                Hi Dennis,

                > But how can I get us both listening
                > synchronously to the same recording?

                To play back to listeners the sound from your
                computer, you would need to use your built in
                soundcard as your input (mic) device.

                Skype, virtual classrooms etc. are programmed
                so that they only ever play the sound that
                comes from your input (mic).

                If this microphone is a USB device (webcam mic
                or stand-alone USB mic or USB headset device)
                this sound can NOT be played to your listener,
                unless... and this is perfectly possible with
                Skype (and of good quality if your speakers are any
                good), that you can play the sound through
                your speakers and hold the mic near the speakers
                (a stand-alone mic or a headset mic is easily
                positioned there and back to you when you continue
                talking, try not to touch the mouth piece if poss).

                The better solution is obviously to use your
                built in soundcard and to then uncheck the stereo
                mix or the 'what u hear' or at times it can also
                be the CD line-in so that the sound from your
                computer can be played. Make sure to check the
                stereomix immediately again as soon as you start
                conversing or else your student gets a big strong
                digital echo.

                To activate your built in soundcard you need a headset
                with microphone and unplug the stand-alone mic and change
                the device in your sound settings in the control panel.
                I often have to reboot my computer on top of that but
                you know Window's joys, dont you?

                If anybody knows a different way than the above
                decribed, I would be very interested to know.

                Rgds Heike

                --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

                > Dear colleagues,
                >

                > I am teaching 1:1 in Skype and want to be able to play an mp3 recording,
                > which I can fast forward, repeat etc. i.e. be in control and I want it to be
                > heard by me and the learner. For the ability to wind backwards and forwards
                > using Audacity seems to me to be the best solution. But how can I get us
                > both listening synchronously to the same recording?
                >
                > Grateful for all suggestions and comments.
                >

                > Dennis aka Osna

              • Geoff Taylor
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 9, 2010
                  Hi Howard

                  On 8 Aug 2010, at 15:51, Howard wrote:

                  > If you have the audio as a YouTube video, then SynchTube.com may be what you are looking for.

                  Looks very handy. Thanks!

                  Geoff Taylor