Re: Learner Corpora

  • tayyabijaz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
      NORMA BREWER: here are few things regarding learner corpora.
      the corpus would be the argumentative essays collected from the graduation level learners (14 years of education). letters, mails etc would not be included. this would be written corpus. spoken element is not there. I dont know what do u mean by expression "define Pakistan further". What do u mean by this?

      > Tayyabijaz's title seems far too wide.
      > Does she mean
      > Written texts- eg in post-graduate theses, essays submitted for evaluation
      > other written texts- eg emails, letters,
      > Spoken - Formal
      > talks, lectures delivered by the persons
      > Spoken- Informal
      > informal conversations
      >
      > Is she going c?
      > Is she also going to look at what may be considered acceptable English in Pakistan- cf 'Indian English'.
      >
      > To what extent is she going to consider the effect of the grammar correction facilities of wordprocessing programmes and the effect on the written texts?
      > Is she looking at phonetic features, as well as grammar and lexis?
      >

      > Norma Brewer
      > nlbrewer@...

    • Chris Baldwin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
        It might help you to write a paragraph explaining what you want to do, how and why. This will help you to focus your ideas and give us more meat to comment on. On the subject of errors, have a look at some of Truscott's work, e.g. Truscott, J. (2001). Selecting Errors for Selective Error Correction. Concentric: Studies in English Literature and Linguistics, 27(2), 93-108

        Chris

        To: LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com
        From: tayyabijaz@...
        Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 04:29:34 +0000