An appetite for learning

  • Karenne Sylvester
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2009
      Hi all,

      Here is September's monthly update on articles posted on Kalinago English:

      *She-in-ELT series - 3 more pieces: on Paula Reynolds, Sister Luz Moreno (Mexico/US) and Vicki Hollett's Business Opportunities and Objectives(oct)

      Especially for this group might be the
      *Thoughts on dogma - an update on the Dogme and/vs. Technology debate, including a new mandate for how these could work together by Scott Thornbury

      *Tech tips on using smartphones in your classrooms

      *1stpart of 3partArticle on motivation in EFL classes

      *Reasons for not liking textbooks (new weekly series)

      And out there in the global blogosphere:

      *more on the dogme/tech discussion
      *theory of the mind
      *ways we communicate
      *developments in our industry - unions? improving pay conditions?

      And of course, links to some of the greatest tweets in the twitterverse.

      Looking forward to seeing you on the page!

      Take care,

      http://tiny.cc/u7g2W

      Karenne
    • Peter Travis
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
        Hi all

        Just an invitation to see the outputs from our recent presentation on the ETAS SIG day on using Skype for listening and speaking opportunities in the language classroom. It can all be found here:
        http://www.splendid-speaking.com/etas.html

        Hope you find it useful.

        Best wishes

        Pete

        *******************************
        Peter Travis
        Flo-Joe
        Join the Twitter challenge!
        http://www.splendid-speaking.com/learn/english_phrases.html

      • Peter Travis
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 17, 2009
          Hi

          If you are currently helping students prepare for Cambridge
          FCE, CAE or CPE and would like to give learners an introduction to
          using social media tools for exam preparation you may be interested in
          a new initiative from Flo-Joe.

          Last week we introduced our
          Twitter and Facebook updates to help students maintain a focus on their
          exam preparation. We post daily messages featuring links to short
          bite-sized exercises on the Flo-Joe and Splendid Speaking websites. If
          you are interested in finding out more we have a page on the Flo-Joe
          website with further information:
          http://www.flo-joe.com/socialmedia.htm

          Best wishes

          Pete

          Peter Travis
          Flo-Joe

        • jomango274
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 18, 2009
            Hi Pete

            I don't teach for Cambridge exams, but this is a great idea. Good luck with it.

            Johanna

            Johanna Stirling
            The English Language Garden
            www.elgweb.net

            --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, Peter Travis <pt1pt1pt1@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > If you are currently helping students prepare for Cambridge
            > FCE, CAE or CPE and would like to give learners an introduction to
            > using social media tools for exam preparation you may be interested in
            > a new initiative from Flo-Joe.
            >
            > Last week we introduced our
            > Twitter and Facebook updates to help students maintain a focus on their
            > exam preparation. We post daily messages featuring links to short
            > bite-sized exercises on the Flo-Joe and Splendid Speaking websites. If
            > you are interested in finding out more we have a page on the Flo-Joe
            > website with further information:
            > http://www.flo-joe.com/socialmedia.htm
            >
            > Best wishes
            >
            > Pete
            >
            > Peter Travis
            > Flo-Joe

          • ritazeinstejer
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 21, 2009
              Thank you very much, Pete! This is great news!
              I've already published your invitation in our school "intranet", so that FCE, CAE and CPE teachers in our staff can make the most of this wonderful option. And students, hopefully...!
              Best, most gratefully,

              Rita Zeinstejer

              --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, "jomango274" <johanna.stirling@...> wrote:

              > Hi Pete
              >
              > I don't teach for Cambridge exams, but this is a great idea. Good luck with it.
              >
              > Johanna
              >
              > Johanna Stirling
              > The English Language Garden
              > www.elgweb.net
              >
              > --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, Peter Travis <pt1pt1pt1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi
              > >
              > > If you are currently helping students prepare for Cambridge
              > > FCE, CAE or CPE and would like to give learners an introduction to
              > > using social media tools for exam preparation you may be interested in
              > > a new initiative from Flo-Joe.
              > >
              > > Last week we introduced our
              > > Twitter and Facebook updates to help students maintain a focus on their
              > > exam preparation. We post daily messages featuring links to short
              > > bite-sized exercises on the Flo-Joe and Splendid Speaking websites. If
              > > you are interested in finding out more we have a page on the Flo-Joe
              > > website with further information:
              > > http://www.flo-joe.com/socialmedia.htm
              > >
              > > Best wishes
              > >
              > > Pete
              > >
              > > Peter Travis
              > > Flo-Joe

              > > Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

            • Peter Travis
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 22, 2009
                Many thanks Rita and lovely to hear from you! We've started to incorporate the #hashtags in our Twitter posts. If your teachers decide they'd like to Tweet about Cambridge exams as well as read ours, point them towards the suggested tags on our info page:
                http://www.flo-joe.co.uk/socialmedia.htm
                We're placing the tags at the beginning of the message to avoid them being confused with the url in the Tweet.

                Experiences so far with Twitter and Facebook suggest Facebook will prove more popular with your students - and many of your teachers for that matter. But it's early days so we're looking forward to seeing how things progress.

                All the best from a cloudy Birmingham.

                Pete

                Flo-Joe

                Thank you very much, Pete! This is great news!

                I've already published your invitation in our school "intranet", so that FCE, CAE and CPE teachers in our staff can make the most of this wonderful option. And students, hopefully... !

                Best, most gratefully,

                Rita Zeinstejer

                --- In LearningTechnologie sSIG@yahoogroups .com, "jomango274" <johanna.stirling@ ...> wrote:

                > Hi Pete

                > I don't teach for Cambridge exams, but this is a great idea. Good luck with it.

                > Johanna

                > Johanna Stirling

                > The English Language Garden

                > www.elgweb.net

                > --- In LearningTechnologie sSIG@yahoogroups .com, Peter Travis <pt1pt1pt1@> wrote:

                > > Hi

                > > If you are currently helping students prepare for Cambridge

                > > FCE, CAE or CPE and would like to give learners an introduction to

                > > using social media tools for exam preparation you may be interested in

                > > a new initiative from Flo-Joe.

                > > Last week we introduced our

                > > Twitter and Facebook updates to help students maintain a focus on their

                > > exam preparation. We post daily messages featuring links to short

                > > bite-sized exercises on the Flo-Joe and Splendid Speaking websites. If

                > > you are interested in finding out more we have a page on the Flo-Joe

                > > website with further information:

                > > http://www.flo- joe.com/socialme dia.htm

                > > Best wishes

                > > Pete

                > > Peter Travis

                > > Flo-Joe

                > > Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .yahoo.com

              • barbara893782
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 22, 2009
                  Hi
                  I have a colleague who has set up a Facebook account to help his FCE students with their writing. I'll pass this news on and ask him to outline what he's been doing for this forum.

                  Barbara