Flexible Learning Platforms

  • darrenrelliott
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2009
      Hi Everyone,

      I'm working on an assesment tool for non-techie teachers who are interested in using internet based platforms or applications for sharing / storing / manipulating / delivering content for classes (basically, class management systems). I'm also trying to put together a list of such platforms and applications, which I can test the tool against.

      Of course blogging pltforms are included (blogger, wordpress, tumblr etc). VLE's (Moodle, Blackboard), Social Networking sites (Ning, Facebook, Mixi) Wikis,....

      I realise that no such list would be exhaustive, but if you know of a pre-existing list or you have any interesting things that should or could be on it, I'd love to hear from you. If you have or know of a taxonomy, that would be handy too!

      Thanks in advance,

      Darren Elliott
      Nanzan University
      Nagoya, Japan
    • groovyguzi
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28, 2009
        I don't have a reference for an assessment tool as such, but maybe these sections in Module 1.5 at the ICT4LT site will give you a few leads:

        Section 8, Module 1.5: Distance learning and the Web: VLEs, MLEs etc. This section contains links to a number of resources and articles that may be useful for helping you assess the facilities offered by different learning platforms:

        http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_mod1-5.htm#anchorvlangschool

        This Wikipedia article goes into detail about what you can expect from a VLE:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_learning_environment

        Section 12, Module 1.5: Discussion lists, blogs, wikis, social networking:

        http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_mod1-5.htm#anchorediscuss

        Section 2, Module 1.5: What is Web 2.0? This section contains links to a categorised list of Web 2.0 applications that have been found useful for language teachers:

        http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_mod1-5.htm#WEB2

        I am Editor-in Chief of the ICT4LT site and I welcome feedback on the site's content. I can be contacted via the feedback form that can be found at the foot of each page of the ICT4LT site.

        Graham Davies