Re: Educational technology + ELT news and updates

  • Karenne Sylvester
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2009
      Great links, Nik.

      Really enjoyed the Scott Thornbury interview even though was only audio (did something happen to the video?).

      I did roll my eyes when he admitted he's only using twitter to keep content fresh on his website! While that's fine, it is hard to keep content fresh and it does take a lot of time, so he shouldn't slam the ones who are spending the time to do it.

      If he's going to knock web2.0 he should at least participate actively before dismissing everything including blogs etc. ;-(

      You had some really great questions and kept the interview going at a very nice pace, well done, and am looking forward to the Harmer post too.

      Watch out, you'll soon get known as the Oprah of ELT - ha, ha.

      And by the way, that flickr globe thing on your wallwisher's very, very cool.

      Karenne
      http://kalinago.blogspot.com
    • Nik Peachey
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2009
        Hi Karenne

        Glad you enjoyed the interview with Scott. I'm not sure it is fair to say he was knocking Web 2.0. I think it's just not his thing. I think it's a matter of how much these things fit into your life or not. Personally I think Web 2.0 is compatible with dogme because of the authentic and social interactions it creates. It's also creating new genres of communication (like Twitter). How long these will be about is questionable. I think we are moving into an age of constantly evolving communication genre. In the end though, what will remain constant and of value is what you have to say.

        As for Oprah, well if I had a comprable pay check to either her or Johnathon Ross I could live with that. Won't hold my breath though.

        The video does exist (on my hard drive) of the complete interview with Scott, it's just a mater of having some time to edit down into chunks that people could actuallu download.

        Maybe I'll talk to Gavin at the Consultants-E about a CD or DVD collection of the series. Hope to see you Sunday for the Jeremy Harmer one. Info at:
        http://quickshout.blogspot.com/2009/04/coffee-with-jeremy-harmer.html

        Best

        Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
        Teacher Development: http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
        News and Tips: http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
        Student Activities: http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/
        On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NikPeachey